Floating Algae? Greenish Brown? Scum?

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Thoughts on this weird scummy floating algae? It's only in my sump. I have a high-flow display. Is this cyno? Doesn't look like any dinoflagellates like that I had before. This has been happening for about 2-3 months. My display is perfect. Corals look great. SPS look amazing. Sure I can add more flow, but what the heck is this??!

Your thoughts?

IMG_3932.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Guys,

Thoughts on this weird scummy floating algae? It's only in my sump. I have a high-flow display. Is this cyno? Doesn't look like any dinoflagellates like that I had before. This has been happening for about 2-3 months. My display is perfect. Corals look great. SPS look amazing. Sure I can add more flow, but what the heck is this??!

Your thoughts?

IMG_3932.JPG
More circulation but after cleanup
I see bubble algae, hair algae and what looks like lyngbya which is a slimy algae

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see bubble algae, hair algae and what looks like lyngbya which is a slimy algae
It’s def not bubble algae. This is slime with bubbles in it. It’s not dinos because it’s not the classic brown thin stuff. It’s thick slimer ooze. Never heard of lyngbya.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

googled it. Yep saw some large stagnant bodies of water with it. Found a great thread on R2R about treatment. Wow. Never seen this before ever. I worked in LFS and never seen it before. Wow. Yucky stuff.

thank you !

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So an update on what I did to get rid of this --- its been a success.

But first, when I was going through looking at pictures of this on the internet, Google wide search shows it to be filamentous under a microscope, which I did not find it to be a filamentous algae. It was just green slime. Next other pictures (non-microscope) on R2R show it to be short fuzzy filamentous micro algae, like chyrsophtes, which look nothing like that. My issue was green slime -- which look like traditional redish-burgundy purple Cyanobacteria, but green.

So how I nearly eliminated all of it. I followed DrTim’s Aquatics recipe for Cyanobacteria. I used Re-Fresh and Waste-Away.

The Re-Fresh made an immediate impact on the floating algae. It was gone in 3 or 4 days completely. The remaining treatment calls for Waste-Away. The more stubborn 'semi translucent tissue thin sheet' coating on the frag rack took a bit longer, but it's nearly gone. There is some remaining on the sump glass, but it's dissipating almost gone. I could not finish the treatment 100% as prescribed because of travel, but I am going to run another round of treatment to at least visibly see its 100% gone.

Very satisfied with the performance of Dr. Tim's products. @DrTim 10/10 performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a before and after, and the before pictures I actually had removed a lot of the algae manually.

Before --
IMG_3937.JPG IMG_3934.JPG IMG_3936.JPG

After Treatment --

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back