Floating Aquascape Fluval Evo 13.5

wrasse2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I finally wanted to show off my latest project a true floating aquascape Fluval evo 13.5. So far the tank has been running for 3 months and contains several euphillia, chalices, blastos, and one large conditioned Wilsoni. So far there have been no losses. I made this aquascape myself and would be more than happy to answer any questions on its creation and maintenance. I will likely update this every two months, and can provide equipment lists if anyone is interested. Sorry the pictures are kinda rough!
1628458497983.jpeg

1628458538770.jpeg

1628458611291.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super awesome. Just keep an eye your seams. I just stumbled onto a thread where rimless tanks have a tendency of coming loose at the seams and fail resulting in loss of tank and all inhabitants. Just seems like it puts lots of stress on that partition. I have the same tank myself and love it. That aquascape is really cool!

OP
OP
W

wrasse2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super awesome. Just keep an eye your seams. I just stumbled onto a thread where rimless tanks have a tendency of coming loose at the seams and fail resulting in loss of tank and all inhabitants. Just seems like it puts lots of stress on that partition. I have the same tank myself and love it. That aquascape is really cool!
Yeah I was pretty worried about that, My solution was to add a cut piece of starboard covering the glass bottom and the seal it off with additional silicone, additionally all other seams had additional silicone added to them and Silicone and reef safe heat mortar were used to enforce the sump seams.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool. I am going to aqua scape my 25 peninsula soon and thought about trying this. Not sure I have the guts but the look and the flow options are so tempting.

OP
OP
W

wrasse2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you scared the rock will crack the barebottom?
Not really, the bottom is lined with starboard which its quite tough additionally no rock actually touches any glass in this tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wrasse2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my latest update! Everything is going well so far. Equipment includes 2 kessil A80's, fulval's stock sump pump, fulval's stock protein skimmer, a auto aqua smart ATO, a jebo control pump, and a aqua top 50W heater. Filtration includes standard filter floss, carbon, the protein skimmer (run 10 hr daily) and some biobellets. Maintenance includes, 4 gal water changes every two weeks, monthly carbon changes, and monthly equipment checks/calibrations .

Attachments

• IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2327.jpeg
    IMG_2327.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2322.jpeg
    IMG_2322.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 175

wezbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Would you remove the plastic floating stand from under the tank?

Seems it takes all the weight?

Reason I'm asking - I have a new lid I've built which adds an additional 1.7kg to the glass

Thanks

Wez

OP
OP
W

wrasse2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Would you remove the plastic floating stand from under the tank?

Seems it takes all the weight?

Reason I'm asking - I have a new lid I've built which adds an additional 1.7kg to the glass

Thanks

Wez
In retrospect I would. But since the tank is currently set up, it would be a major operation to remove it safely, at some point I might reinforce the spaces under the bottom panel of glass with some other material.

If you're looking to set one up with some heavy weight, I'd definitely consider it, but would also suggest reinforcing the seams between the glass once you do

wezbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In retrospect I would. But since the tank is currently set up, it would be a major operation to remove it safely, at some point I might reinforce the spaces under the bottom panel of glass with some other material.

If you're looking to set one up with some heavy weight, I'd definitely consider it, but would also suggest reinforcing the seams between the glass once you do
Hello

I've bought clear acrylic 'blocks' which I'm wedging under the floating parts in both corners just to get some support under those corners.

Fluval did confirm the tank can take a bit more weight from the lid but I said I would not quote them on that if anything goes wrong as they can't test it haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back