Floating canopy with Ecotech RMS hanging kit?

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what people are using to suspend their floating canopies while mounting to the ceiling. I bought the Ecotech RMS hanging kit and used 3" screws directly into the joists. My canopy will be roughly 25-35lbs once completed and I have some concerns on how much the kit can actually suspend. Im not so worried about the screws I have lagged, its how the cable fastens onto the part that is lagged to the ceiling.

Couple pictures attached for reference. *unsure how to prevent pictures from rotating while uploading*

tempImagekU3kf6.png tempImageS576Ka.png IMG_0888.jpeg IMG_0887.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it screw to the ceiling and screw together like the ATI hanging kit?

If so youre good.
If you put a 3" screw into the joist you could likely swing around on it yourself like Tarzan.

OP
OP
brandon0921

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it screw to the ceiling and screw together like the ATI hanging kit?

If so youre good.
If you put a 3" screw into the joist you could likely swing around on it yourself like Tarzan.
haha maybe ill give it a try, it does feel sturdy!
Top right of this picture - the screw goes through the threaded piece with the flat side sitting flush against the ceiling. The cable comes up through the slot of the rounded bullet looking piece and the bullet threads onto the ceiling mounting part. This along with the cable are my main concerns.

1630514372679.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha maybe ill give it a try, it does feel sturdy!
Top right of this picture - the screw goes through the threaded piece with the flat side sitting flush against the ceiling. The cable comes up through the slot of the rounded bullet looking piece and the bullet threads onto the ceiling mounting part. This along with the cable are my main concerns.

1630514372679.png
Yea its the same design.

The threaded "bullet" shaped piece i wouldnt worry about as the threads wont strip from the weight of an aquarium light fixture.

The other height adjustment piece is oriented where more weight makes it grip tighter so i honestly wouldnt worry about that slipping either.
If you are, they sell aircraft cable clamps you could simply clamp it after you thread it through the height adjustment piece.

OP
OP
brandon0921

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its the same design.

The threaded "bullet" shaped piece i wouldnt worry about as the threads wont strip from the weight of an aquarium light fixture.

The other height adjustment piece is oriented where more weight makes it grip tighter so i honestly wouldnt worry about that slipping either.
If you are, they sell aircraft cable clamps you could simply clamp it after you thread it through the height adjustment piece.
Thanks for taking the time to review and respond. Thats some sound advice. I estimate 36lbs once the Radions are in place, 42 if I add another light bar. Just wish these kits came with ratings so you could be certain with that much money dangling about the water.

OP
OP
brandon0921

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my floating canopy I went into the attic and attached 3/4 ply between the joist right above the drywall ceiling so the fasteners for the hanging kit could be mounted into solid wood.
1630518064105.png

1630518116610.png

1630518135643.png
Do you know how much it weighs and what kit you used? Awesome scape btw

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I dont have anything to worry about :)
I concur :)

To test the sheer strength of the mechanism you can attach it to the ceiling mounted cable and then pull down on it as hard as you can. I doubt it will slip and youre going to be applying more than 66lbs of sheer force :)
Mind you thats only one side!
Dont do this with the light attached!

OP
OP
brandon0921

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur :)

To test the sheer strength of the mechanism you can attach it to the ceiling mounted cable and then pull down on it as hard as you can. I doubt it will slip and youre going to be applying more than 66lbs of sheer force :)
Mind you thats only one side!
Dont do this with the light attached!
I just set this up with an extra kit I have and it held. I wonder why Ecotech told me a max of 21lbs on these kits?

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what people are using to suspend their floating canopies while mounting to the ceiling. I bought the Ecotech RMS hanging kit and used 3" screws directly into the joists. My canopy will be roughly 25-35lbs once completed and I have some concerns on how much the kit can actually suspend. Im not so worried about the screws I have lagged, its how the cable fastens onto the part that is lagged to the ceiling.

Couple pictures attached for reference. *unsure how to prevent pictures from rotating while uploading*

So u have a drawing of the law out of the canopy before u put lights on it

how did u attach radion light to canopy?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back