Flood proof stand?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been thinking of why there is not a better way of preventing flooding. I was curious if anyone has heard of of thought of a way to catch a flood.
My first inclination is to have an enclosed stand with a drain. Very roughly, i was thinking an over sized stand with a water proof insert. Like a cooler that sits in a small false bottom. A bit larger than the tank dimensions so that it will catch any over flow or leak. A drain on the bottom with hose like an ac.
I know theres alot of detail to work out. But it must be possible. Maybe already out there. Anyone know? Or have better ideas?

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done with a plywood box style stand, provided the inner surface is treated and silicone sealed joints. Building an oversize stand is tricky, but very do-able. I have one, but its for a smaller 38 gallon tank. Mine isn't flood proof, but if it leaked within the stand, the sump compartment holds water, about a 3.75" height. The tank is about 24 x 18 and the stand is about 36 x 23.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty cool. Im surprised its not more common. Considering water damage is so bad

CincyFin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sealed all the gaps in my base up to the door opening and painted it with 3 coats of exterior enamel paint. If the sump should overflow it can easily hold 5 gallons of water or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back