Flordia Ricordea Receeding ... Need Guidance

Danroth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, my first post here, and I'm hoping to get some good direction/help for me being a newbie to this.

I've had my tank set up for about 2+ weeks, now. After a week, and putting some inverts in (a few crabs, snails), I bought a couple corals. So far, I've purchased 2 Zoa's, a Flordia Ricordea, and a Montipora. 1 Zoa & the Monti are doing wonderful. 1 Zoa the polyps are closed and not opening but there are no pests/fungus/etc on it that I've observed so on advice from my LFS I'm leaving it alone after dipping it and seeing what it does. But, today I noticed another issue ...

My Flordia Ricordea is receeding. It had been doing fine, I got it about a week and a half ago, and had been letting it acclimate - have not yet fixed it into position. For most of that time, it was doing wonderful, however out of the last three nights, twice I've woken up to find it in the sand where a snail probably knocked it down. One two sides, the lower edges of the mushroom are receding, and I think but am not positive this is where it was in contact with the sand on these two occasions. The rest of the mushroom remains vibrant colors, the neon-green mouth is 'open', and otherwise looks very healthy and is 'stiff' in regards to movement. A few of the polyps or 'bumps' on the mushroom on the edges/skirt of the coral do 'swing' or move with the current suggesting they might be loose. I had noticed that for a few days but only noticed the skeletal recession today.

My params are as follows:
Temp: 80
Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia all undetectable or 0
Alkalinity: 3.5 meq/L
pH: 8.0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.1%
Back