Flow issues, corals not opening after new pump

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After a prolonged battle with Dino's, I have successfully overcome them. Throughout this struggle, there were significant swings in all my parameters, including Alkalinity.

My current parameters are now stable and better than ever. Following the removal of my UV, I introduced the new AI Axis pump for improved flow and control, set at the maximum of 185GPH. Additionally, I have the AI Nero 3, which has been in the same spot for months. However, after receiving some advice, I elevated its position. While my zoa's in the 15G Waterbox Peninsula are gradually recovering and reopening after the Dino fight and parameter fluctuations, they now experience less flow due to the new Nero placement. In contrast, my hammer is receiving much more flow and is no longer opening.

I've provided my schedules and placements in the screenshots, and I would greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions.

As shown in the screenshots, my Nero is currently set at 30%. I've tried reducing it to 15-20%, but I still achieve at least 700 GPH. Additionally, I've increased my lights by approximately 7-10% to ensure they receive the same PAR levels, and this adjustment seems to be well-received!

IMG_5827.PNG
IMG_5830.PNG
IMG_5831.PNG
IMG_5832.PNG

IMG_5834.jpg
IMG_5835.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it a huge challenge to perfect the flow with only one powerhead, it will always be one way linear flow which many corals don't like, it also creates several dead flow spots.

Even on my 15 gallon softie tank, I have 2 powerheads on either side facing each other, their flow meet in the middle and bounce off each other and create random flow throughout the tank. IMO this is the best type of set up, which I understand is not ideal for AIO tanks, or cube tanks.

Do you have a skimmer in the tank? Personally, the water surface looks more still than I would like it. Again, personal choice, but I like to point one of my powerheads at the water surface for lots of agitation, the more agitation there is, the more gas exchange there is.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents. The tank looks very nice, good luck.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers don't really like high flow. They do better with a gentle sway.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers don't really like high flow. They do better with a gentle sway.
That would probably mean putting the wavemaker lower again.

I find it a huge challenge to perfect the flow with only one powerhead, it will always be one way linear flow which many corals don't like, it also creates several dead flow spots.
Yea this flow thing is messing with my head haha. I don’t have dead spots luckily.

Do you have a skimmer in the tank? Personally, the water surface looks more still than I would like it. Again, personal choice, but I like to point one of my powerheads at the water surface for lots of agitation, the more agitation there is, the more gas exchange there is.
I have a skimmer yes. Good to know I will aim it more upwards. Just need to figure the wavemaker position out so my hammer will open up again.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made some adjustments to the flow in my tank, playing around with the wavemaker settings, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvement with my hammer coral. The current positioning of the wavemaker doesn't appear to create a direct flow, but I'm considering changing the Nero settings to a random flow pattern to see if that makes a difference.

Before the Dino outbreak, the hammer coral used to open up, but during that period, the Nero position was lower. I received advice in another thread about improving circulation by moving the wavemaker higher.

To troubleshoot, I've turned off the wavemaker temporarily to observe if the hammer coral will reopen. If not, it might indicate an issue with the new returnpump. I'm also questioning whether the flow rate of 185GPH from the new pump in my 15G tank is too intense. While it shouldn't be according to most basic guidelines...

The original plan was to create a small Euphyllia garden on a specific set of rocks, but if the hammer coral doesn't respond positively, I have another spot in mind to test its preferences. I hope it doesn't come to that as the Hammer has been glued to that position for a while now. If the hammer does respond positively to the turned off Nero, I'm not sure what the next step would be, as I would like a few SPS at some point.

If anyone has further suggestions or insights based on these details, I would greatly appreciate it.
IMG_5839.thumb.jpg.65e7dcf44cac5e767b99a1101da3bb6b.jpg
IMG_5836.jpg.9ef6933588917aeedc98afaa6a7b34e8.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back