Flow rate for new sump/aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mmsetta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mmsetta

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2013
Messages
338
Reaction score
10
Location
Cleveland, ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an external overflow with 1" tube. Return pimp is a mag 9.5. 75g tank. Return pump is only at about 1/4 open on a valve I installed in the plumbing. So, I figured I am pumping about 235 gph. This is the max I can do without the pump overtaking bf overflowing my dt. Does this seem right? And is this flow rate going to work for a 75g?

Pictures show my overflow and the amount open in my ball valve. Horizontal is fully closed.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426650646.391927.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426650667.200606.jpg
 
The flow rate will work OK for your tank, just make sure to have some good wavemakers inside the tank for flow.
You might need a bigger overflow to get more flow thru your sump if that's what you are looking for.

3-5x display volume is a good flow rate thru the sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new