Flow rate from sump to DT

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a Jebao dcp 15,000 sinewave. Which is rated for nearly 4,000gal an hour “gph” I have a 125gal DT and 2 20gal talls for my sump that are bulkheaded together with 2 pipes. One is actually a wet dry eshops sump and I just added on the 20 gal y’all for fuge and return pump so that’s my setup. With this pump turned 100% is still don’t feel like that much is blowing out of hose I mean yea it pushes my hand back but the flow through my fuge just seems like a minor push through it. Not fast at all. Is there a chance running this pump through power strips and protectors could be causing it to slow down? My controller shows it’s running proper watts but just wondering if I should really notice a difference? How fast should water be moving in my sump? My water level in the sump is 9-10 inches so that would be hard to really notice how much I guess. Any short videos of your guys proper flow through sump could greatly help me. I want the best filtration and water turnover possible.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, thats way to much pump for that tank.
I run 2-300 from my sump to display on my 120.
But thats the way I set it up.
Something does not add up for that pump.
I only run a 790gph pump, pumping 5' and have it throttled back 50%.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What diameter is the return pipe?

Easiest way to find out your exact flow is to get something of know size like a one gallon milk jug and fill it with the drain pipe water flow while timing it. Then math.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with potatohead. Also, what is the diameter of the bulkheads? That may be the limit to your available flow. In the past, I thought I read a posting that provides estimated flow rates based on pipe diameter and bulkhead diameter. I can't find it now.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These DCP pumps are in no way pressure rated pumps so they loose a lot in "head loss".
Look at the box to see the flow rate based on your approx height then add all the resistance from 90º elbow and you will see that it's probably less than 50% of the flow rate you think it is.

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1inch hose with a 3/4-1inch return pipe. We’re only talking like 3 ft on head weight. It seems to do amazing was just curious how fast the water should be moving like should I see my macro blowing around lol.

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These DCP pumps are in no way pressure rated pumps so they loose a lot in "head loss".
Look at the box to see the flow rate based on your approx height then add all the resistance from 90º elbow and you will see that it's probably less than 50% of the flow rate you think it is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back