Flow Rates in Sumps with Refugiums

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short while ago, I did a sump build using a 40 gallon long Aqueon which included a refugium in my build.

I understood (correct me if I'm wrong) that a slow flow rate was required in a refugium for it to be effective as faster flow rates reduce the amount of time for macro algae to absorb nitrates and phosphates.

But I am noticing a film developing on the surface of the water over the refugium. I've seen this before in tanks and just added a power head facing the surface to increase agitation. But I can't do that in a refugium; right?

Other than siphoning off the film or the occasional, manual agitation, is there anything else I can do?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return rates have always seemed highly debateable.
In general I think a higher flow rate in a refugium should be better as, like any plant, it needs flow to process nutrients and uptake c02. IMO, it doesn't soak in when its slower.

But I can't do that in a refugium; right?
Yes you can. As most of my tank is DC, I just added a tiny 12v pump like one used in an ATO. ($4)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that it doesn't work like a sponge. I just thought that the rate at which nutrients are introduced shouldn't exceed the rate of absorption.
Understood.
I think a lot of people do belive that kinda though.
It would be hard to calculate uptake and introduction I think.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae will grow beat in the highest nutrient water. If the water is run slow enough, the fuge will have cleaner water than the tank. This is not what you want. You want the algae to always have access to the dirtiest water possible.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back