flow/return question for 46 gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmh41532
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmh41532

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2015
Messages
505
Reaction score
188
Location
Naples, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a mag 7 return pump be to strong for a 46? Also can some one suggest flow? I have two hydor evolutions, I think that what they are, that I plan to use, however I am not sure if he flow rate. And to be honest, deciding flow rate is something I've never been good at. I'm keeping most of the coral, a mix of zoas, lps, and some months. My wife and I are preparing for our first child and it'll be much easier to care for a single tank.
 
What determines the maximum flow on your return pump is your overflow. What overflow do you have on the tank?

My guess is that it would be just fine thinking the overflow is at least 600 gph, and with headloss, the MAG 7 will be fine....but that's guessing on a "normal" overflow. So again, what overflow will determine pump flow rate (along with headloss).

As far as your Koralia's, the label is no longer on the powerhead? Post a picture and we'll see if we can tell. I know the 1400 and the nano's.
 
That makes sense...it dosentbhave an overflow yet, it was a fresh water tank. I'll just make sure to get a an overflow to fit the pump.
 
Preface of - I don't have anything in the tank yet except some water, I'm a super newbie, but obviously I am doing the same homework as you.

Generally you want 4-6x the volume in your display tank coming from the return pump. It used to be 10x as a rule, but its now 5x (4-6).

For circulation / wave generation, you want those pumps to be like 10x your DT. But I think the return counts for part of that equation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new