Flow Sensor Placement

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're plumbing a flow sensor for a UV sterilizer, and you're reducing the pipe size into the flow sensor (because I have to), and then sizing it back up after the sensor, should you plumb it between the pump and the UV, or after the UV outlet?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're plumbing a flow sensor for a UV sterilizer, and you're reducing the pipe size into the flow sensor (because I have to), and then sizing it back up after the sensor, should you plumb it between the pump and the UV, or after the UV outlet?
What size is uv? Neptune makes 1/4,1/2,1,2 inch sensors why not get bigger sensor

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is uv? Neptune makes 1/4,1/2,1,2 inch sensors why not get bigger sensor
Pentair 18w ... I don't buy Neptune products. Everything is GHL for me. As far why not get a bigger sensor...because the minimum required flow for the UV is 37gph...and a bigger sensor can't detect that low of a flow.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you putting this on and what is the purpose of the UV?

The smaller diameter sensor will restrict the water flow. Ideally the piping should all be the same diameter as your flow is determined by the smaller diameter pipe.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you putting this on and what is the purpose of the UV?

The smaller diameter sensor will restrict the water flow. Ideally the piping should all be the same diameter as your flow is determined by the smaller diameter pipe.
I'm aware of the smaller diameter restricting flow. That's the intent of the question as to before or after the UV for the most accurate reading. Same diameter piping is not possible in this scenario. This is a GHL sensor, which uses metric, and a Pentair UV which uses standard, and whose inlet and outlet is sized at 1.5". So in any situation, I'd be stepping down the diameter before the water actually flows through the UV. From the pump to the UV I'm using 1" PVC. Same with from the UV back out to the tank. For this UV, the lowest GPH I'd ever run on it is 37gph...so if/when I do want to run it that slow, I need a sensor to be able to read that. Getting a larger sensor (to not have to go down so much in diameter) won't read a flow that low.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing the input or output does no apply in this case. Flow is flow and the point of measurement is irrelevant. You can not have higher input than output.

The only issue I would present is using the flow meter to accurately represent your actual flow. Using it as a reference could perhaps offer more value.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would install it after the uv. The flowmeter might be more accurate further down stream from the pump where the flow is less turbulent and more laminar.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back