Flow setup

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, right now I am trying to play with my flow a little as I have just added my first corals. I have a canister filter running at 550gph (fixed, there is no way to change the flow rate), that feeds back into a spray bar that runs the length of my four foot tank (75gal) . on the same side as the filter intake I have a 1080gph DC programable PH at 80% and directly opposite a 660gph PH at 100%. all three are pointed mildly towards the surface and my surface agitation is fantastic. I wanted suggestions however, on whether or not this was good or if it could be improved to make sure my corals get the best flow possible. right now the two zoanthids are being shy, but that's pretty fair, they've had a big day. the GSP is mostly out doing his thing, but seems like its not moving as much as in the store, which makes me think maybe the flow in my tank is lower than it should be.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

not knowing how big your tank is, making a judgement about flow is a bit tricky. But it seems to me that you should be OK unless your tank is really big.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

not knowing how big your tank is, making a judgement about flow is a bit tricky. But it seems to me that you should be OK unless your tank is really big.
a spray bar that runs the length of my four foot tank (75gal)
I think you may have missed this part. if you're needing more info, I can certainly provide it I'm just not sure what else there is about size. I've got about 40lbs of rock in there if that helps

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you can’t really tell unless you have something with movement like a torch ect, or if you have fish, feed with all the pumps on to see how the food moves around the tank

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you can’t really tell unless you have something with movement like a torch ect, or if you have fish, feed with all the pumps on to see how the food moves around the tank
I have a single shrimp, I fed him and kinda watched my flow pattern, I just don't know how much is too much/not enough if that makes sense

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get that, but Until you have something there to show you if it is or isn’t it’s kind of hard either way don’t worry too much about it just yet

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get that, but I not lol you have something there to show you if it is or isn’t it’s kind of hard
I'll be honest, what I did was put corals in, then adjusted the flow until it was just low enough that they opened up all the way. my initial setup was just blasting the crap out of the corals and they wouldn't open so I just knocked it down 10 percent, waited an hour, knocked it down another 10 percent, repeat until corals open. ended up using a surge setting with offset timings to get turbulence and the PHs at 40% and they seem to have been liking that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back