fluconazole vs macro algae questions?

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a certain type of macro algae growing out of control in my 33gallon long. ( I believe it to be caulerpa prolifera) I would like to rid my system of this species because it has become a plague and cannot seem to slow down the growth at all.

I've tried dropping both N03 and P04 levels
added 3x tuxedo urchins
other than doing a compete blackout on the tank which would be hard to do because I have 5x mangrove trees coming out of the top of the system.

My only other option that I can think of is the use of fluconazole, now I've used this stuff in the past with great success however, I'm hesitant to use it this time because I have several large feather dusters, and the mangrove trees. I'd like some insight into other peoples opinions as to how to proceed with this.
Will post pictures of the tank when I get time.
thanks,

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a certain type of macro algae growing out of control in my 33gallon long. ( I believe it to be caulerpa prolifera) I would like to rid my system of this species because it has become a plague and cannot seem to slow down the growth at all.

I've tried dropping both N03 and P04 levels
added 3x tuxedo urchins
other than doing a compete blackout on the tank which would be hard to do because I have 5x mangrove trees coming out of the top of the system.

My only other option that I can think of is the use of fluconazole, now I've used this stuff in the past with great success however, I'm hesitant to use it this time because I have several large feather dusters, and the mangrove trees. I'd like some insight into other peoples opinions as to how to proceed with this.
Will post pictures of the tank when I get time.
thanks,
Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• 16835942721311053590681920608441.jpg
    16835942721311053590681920608441.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 44

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same algae and am killing it currently, I may need to dose it twice but it seems to be doing the job. Doesn’t hurt my feather dusters as they have been through treatment many times.I have tons of them, I was actually wondering if flux has anything to do with why I have so many.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole did not affect my macro. But I did have other species. Even if it did work, you would need to manually remove 99% of that before you treated it, or you would just have new problems with all of that dying in your tank. Consistent and persistent manual attention is usually the best option. No one likes to heart that though. :-(

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the manual removal, get all you can out. Flux does seem to have an effect on this macro, at least for me it does. It doesn’t kill all macros because my cheato has been growing like crazy.

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same algae and am killing it currently, I may need to dose it twice but it seems to be doing the job. Doesn’t hurt my feather dusters as they have been through treatment many times.I have tons of them, I was actually wondering if flux has anything to do with why I have so many.
I believe flux is an algaecide so, I would guess that it would work really well for nuking macro algae. However, I wonder if the trees would be affected by the treatment and also, wonder if the fluconazole would leach into the rocks and become a permanent addition and would make it impossible to grow macros again.

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole did not affect my macro. But I did have other species. Even if it did work, you would need to manually remove 99% of that before you treated it, or you would just have new problems with all of that dying in your tank. Consistent and persistent manual attention is usually the best option. No one likes to heart that though. :-(
what's crazy about this macro algae, is that I take a wire brush and scrub it down to bare rock and then i can almost watch it grow back. it really lives up to its name..

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back