Fluctuating phosphates, low dKh

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting running phosguard for high phosphates a month ago (.15ppm) and it held stable at 0.02ppm for a week then bottomed out. dKh also dropped from 8.9 to 7.5 and I’ve been dosing both but nothing is keeping them stable. Should I dose more?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some follow up questions:
1) what coral do you have in the tank?
2) what do you think the “perfect” phosphate amount is?
3) what’s your nitrates?

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Mostly lps and lots of zoas.
2. preferably below .05
3. Nitrates were very low but I’ve dosed them up to 11.5ppm and they haven’t moved

I am running fallow right now due to ich but I target feed reef roids, phyto, and dose aquavitro fuel every 2 days

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosguard has been out for over a week. But… phosphate levels rocket back up the next day and the glass is dirty. I thought phosguard only brings it down to 0.02?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don’t mess with phos levels in my tanks-although I don’t run much chemical filtration either outside of skimming when needed.
the most detrimental thing I’ve done to the tank has been to remove too much phosphate at once.
Why are you trying to remove it? To chase that perfect number or because your coral are suffering?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosguard has been out for over a week. But… phosphate levels rocket back up the next day and the glass is dirty. I thought phosguard only brings it down to 0.02?

lol

There's no binder we use that stops binding phosphate at a specific level that you may want.

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don’t mess with phos levels in my tanks-although I don’t run much chemical filtration either outside of skimming when needed.
the most detrimental thing I’ve done to the tank has been to remove too much phosphate at once.
Why are you trying to remove it? To chase that perfect number or because your coral are suffering?
Other than some acans looking deflated everything else looks great. I guess you could say im trying to chase that .02-.05 number. Should I just let the phos levels stabilize?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than some acans looking deflated everything else looks great. I guess you could say im trying to chase that .02-.05 number. Should I just let the phos levels stabilize?

Depends on where it stabilizes. lol

Back