FLUKES NOT GOING AWAY

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've never done this before. How hard is it to do? Any tips.
Its not and I know the thought is scary. You can safely drop salinity quickly but Must raise slowly.
It is best written by Jay:

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see flukes in the bottom of the container at least I believe so I've only done it 3-4 times. I will post a video later. I mean lets say its not flukes. What other illness would cause those symptoms (i.e lethargic, consistent scratching, no visible signs of an illness.

DOG 1.jpg DOG.jpg

Stating this for the sake of completeness... You can have ich in the gills and see no visible spots. Symptoms would include twitching, scratching and heavy breathing.

I would not rule ich out so quickly, but hyposalinity would also work for ich.

I definitely would consider that route of treatment.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stating this for the sake of completeness... You can have ich in the gills and see no visible spots. Symptoms would include twitching, scratching and heavy breathing.

I would not rule ich out so quickly, but hyposalinity would also work for ich.

I definitely would consider that route of treatment.
Screw it im going to try it on my display. It doesn't sound too hard.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screw it im going to try it on my display. It doesn't sound too hard.

As long as you have a correctly calibrated refractometer, you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the fish, and be prepared to act if necessary. Really hope this works out for you! Having a sick fish is never fun.

You can safely drop salinity quickly but Must raise slowly.

I also can't stress this comment enough. It's extremely important to remember this.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a correctly calibrated refractometer, you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the fish, and be prepared to act if necessary. Really hope this works out for you! Having a sick fish is never fun.

I also can't stress this comment enough. It's extremely important to remember this.
I read the fantastic overview on hyposalinity. In my situation how fast would you lower salinity? Over 24-48 hours?

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do a 35 day treatment?

I would see how the fish responds first. This is also where this ich vs flukes conversation is important again, as, if it is ich, you need to go for at least 30 days. If it is flukes, you need to go for at least 10 days, potentially as long as 35 days.

Personally, I would say flukes is more likely, and would go up to 14 days, then raise the salinity back slowly. If you start seeing symptoms again, drop it back down and just go the full 35 days.

Good luck! Keep in posted!

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see how the fish responds first. This is also where this ich vs flukes conversation is important again, as, if it is ich, you need to go for at least 30 days. If it is flukes, you need to go for at least 10 days, potentially as long as 35 days.

Personally, I would say flukes is more likely, and would go up to 14 days, then raise the salinity back slowly. If you start seeing symptoms again, drop it back down and just go the full 35 days.

Good luck! Keep in

Good luck! Keep in posted!
Last question. I want to go down to 12 ppt. If my reader is off 1 ppt is that dangerous for the fish. 12 PPT was the lowest I’ve seen recommended

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question. I want to go down to 12 ppt. If my reader is off 1 ppt is that dangerous for the fish. 12 PPT was the lowest I’ve seen recommended

12 ppt, or 1.009 specific gravity is the correct salinity.

The use of the term "checker" worries me a bit... It's important to use a VERY well calibrated refractometer or hydrometer. I would not use any digital checkers for this.

The real trick with this is maintaining that salinity... Do you have an ATO?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 ppt, or 1.009 specific gravity is the correct salinity.

The use of the term "checker" worries me a bit... It's important to use a VERY well calibrated refractometer or hydrometer. I would not use any digital checkers for this.

The real trick with this is maintaining that salinity... Do you have an ATO?
I do not have a ATO. My Hanna instrument is right on the dot. I went to two LFS to get SG readings. I bought a refractometer.

The dogfish is going downhill I know copper takes 5 days to work. How long does hypo take? I found one post that says 48 hours but that’s it.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dogfish is going downhill I know copper takes 5 days to work. How long does hypo take? I found one post that says 48 hours but that’s it.

I don't think there's an easy answer for this, unfortunately. From my understanding it can vary.

Day 3 still scratching and lethargic haven’t seen any improvement. Water is at 12PPT

If you haven't seen things getting worse, I would take that as a small victory. Hang tight! Everyone else is handling it alright? If so, I think you just coast for the moment. Please keep us updated! Videos / photos would also be great.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's an easy answer for this, unfortunately. From my understanding it can vary.

If you haven't seen things getting worse, I would take that as a small victory. Hang tight! Everyone else is handling it alright? If so, I think you just coast for the moment. Please keep us updated! Videos / photos would also be great.

Video isn’t uploading for me I have a iPhone not sure why it’s not working. Everybody looks great besides the puffer who is still eating. Scratching is the only symptom for the trigger and blue spotted puffer.

I’m waiting for the “mini” cycle hopefully it doesn’t happen I didn’t have much algue my tank is 8 months old.

82CF7343-40C2-449A-9563-9846899A2BAC.jpeg 78811810-27D7-45C5-972F-075DD64410B9.jpeg DCF6A7EF-8FBD-4D86-86F8-1515B68EC657.jpeg

Last edited:

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody looks great besides the puffer who is still eating

This is the most important part. If you have any selcon / vitamins, you might try soaking the food in that before you feed it to them.

Otherwise, the rest of your system looks happy and healthy! Hopefully the dog face's condition starts improving in the next couple of days. Today is day four at 1.009, correct?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video isn’t uploading for me I have a iPhone not sure why it’s not working. Everybody looks great besides the puffer who is still eating. Scratching is the only symptom for the trigger and blue spotted puffer.

I’m waiting for the “mini” cycle hopefully it doesn’t happen I didn’t have much algue my tank is 8 months old.

82CF7343-40C2-449A-9563-9846899A2BAC.jpeg 78811810-27D7-45C5-972F-075DD64410B9.jpeg DCF6A7EF-8FBD-4D86-86F8-1515B68EC657.jpeg

This is the most important part. If you have any selcon / vitamins, you might try soaking the food in that before you feed it to them.

Otherwise, the rest of your system looks happy and healthy! Hopefully the dog face's condition starts improving in the next couple of days. Today is day four at 1.009, correct?
Correct. Yup I’ve soaked selcon and garlic on pellets and dried blood worms. I also added general cure and seachem focus.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct. Yup I’ve soaked selcon and garlic on pellets and dried blood worms. I also added general cure and seachem focus.
Selcon is a fat supplement. Should be used sparingly. You want to use Vita-Chem for a vitamin soak. Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Trough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.
Ammonia
.08 using the Hanna device. Now its around the same .06. I've never gotten a 0
You should be able to achieve 0.0 ammonia. I wonder if your biofilter is sufficient for the bio load. Maybe this tank is getting a bit too small for some of those fish?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon is a fat supplement. Should be used sparingly. You want to use Vita-Chem for a vitamin soak. Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Trough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

You should be able to achieve 0.0 ammonia. I wonder if your biofilter is sufficient for the bio load. Maybe this tank is getting a bit too small for some of those fish?
I have that as well thank you for the heads up.

It’s possible. I know in the future I’ll have to. But I’ve been really on top of water changes and feed very carefully I don’t think it’s an issue right now. I at the rate the trigger is growing he would probably be the first to go.

Back