Flukes?

aminals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My little bro found a dead anthias after I went to work, I had him freeze it. So 12 hours later I defrost it and check for flukes in freshwater. Can I do this??Looks like white seeds but his Gil completely deteriorated away in the water. Possibly just bits of flesh bc defrost?

Fish was acting fine 3 days ago, 2 days ago shy with bad fin nip, yesterday she was dissy, floating upside down and occasionally swam normal to relocate to corner.

20230216_190034.jpg 20230216_210048.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little bro found a dead anthias after I went to work, I had him freeze it. So 12 hours later I defrost it and check for flukes in freshwater. Can I do this??Looks like white seeds but his Gil completely deteriorated away in the water. Possibly just bits of flesh bc defrost?

Fish was acting fine 3 days ago, 2 days ago shy with bad fin nip, yesterday she was dissy, floating upside down and occasionally swam normal to relocate to corner.

20230216_190034.jpg 20230216_210048.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Flukes won't be visible in a frozen and then thawed sample. The missing scales on the skin along its back seems more like an injury from another fish. Also, what is that stuff behind its gills, looks like a hole?

What you need to do now is damage control, to try and protect the other fish in the tank. This post gives information on the tank history that helps us to know:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you cut that hole behind gill or did you discover fish with this?
This fish looks like a victim of aggression, something a clownfish or hawk would do - What other fish do you have in the tank?

OP
OP
A

aminals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you cut that hole behind gill or did you discover fish with this?
This fish looks like a victim of aggression, something a clownfish or hawk would do - What other fish do you have in the tank?
I discovered the hole after I dipped it.
Fish was found hour after lights up. 2 nassarius and and emerald crab found it. Other tankmates is a pair of clowns, midas blenny, 2 female anthias and a third I believe is transitioning to male.
What you need to do now is damage control, to try and protect the other fish in the tank. This post gives information on the tank history that helps us to know:

Jay
Amm 0
Nirite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.0 but it was low past week I've slowly added baking soda
Salinity 34.4

50gallon tank
Establish 4 months

No treatments tried yet, I have meds ready and an untreated 10g ready to qt. Some of them? Wish it was bigger.

Past hour girl a has been laying down often near cleaner shrimp, couple white spots too fin. Girl b has a tiny injury or st on back fin with white outline she is still outgoing. Everyone else seems fine. How should I go about healing the anthias and especially the clowns and midas from getting sick?

Attachments

• 20230217_110204.jpg
    20230217_110204.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 16766510080888571123667640513079.jpg
    16766510080888571123667640513079.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230217_105859.jpg
    20230217_105859.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I discovered the hole after I dipped it.
Fish was found hour after lights up. 2 nassarius and and emerald crab found it. Other tankmates is a pair of clowns, midas blenny, 2 female anthias and a third I believe is transitioning to male.

Amm 0
Nirite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.0 but it was low past week I've slowly added baking soda
Salinity 34.4

50gallon tank
Establish 4 months

No treatments tried yet, I have meds ready and an untreated 10g ready to qt. Some of them? Wish it was bigger.

Past hour girl a has been laying down often near cleaner shrimp, couple white spots too fin. Girl b has a tiny injury or st on back fin with white outline she is still outgoing. Everyone else seems fine. How should I go about healing the anthias and especially the clowns and midas from getting sick?
Dont worry about Nitrite level unless sky high, but is it safe to say your are using Api test kits? Those zeros with a bioload are not making sense.
Midas looks a little thin and anthias in first pic seems to have mucus around the face.
If you can, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api test kits and have them test your water for you and see what results they come up with and to compare with your readings and you will know where water quality sits.
As for any treatments, and not really seeing any ailments that jump out, Ruby Rally Pro is always my Go-To as it is mild compared to copper and similar treatments and safe for many fish.
Add air stone during treatment for added oxygen and keep an eye on anthias as i did not realize you had more than one and they do squabble quite a bit with each other.

OP
OP
A

aminals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dont worry about Nitrite level unless sky high, but is it safe to say your are using Api test kits? Those zeros with a bioload are not making sense.
Midas looks a little thin and anthias in first pic seems to have mucus around the face.
If you can, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api test kits and have them test your water for you and see what results they come up with and to compare with your readings and you will know where water quality sits.
As for any treatments, and not really seeing any ailments that jump out, Ruby Rally Pro is always my Go-To as it is mild compared to copper and similar treatments and safe for many fish.
Add air stone during treatment for added oxygen and keep an eye on anthias as i did not realize you had more than one and they do squabble quite a bit with each other.
Sadly my lfs also uses api. I'm gonna order stuff here asap for better testing. Should I treat the tank with Ruby Rally Pro?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sadly my lfs also uses api. I'm gonna order stuff here asap for better testing. Should I treat the tank with Ruby Rally Pro?
Ruby rslly IS safe to use and any other LFS to check water?
What foods are you offering ?

OP
OP
A

aminals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ruby rslly IS safe to use and any other LFS to check water?
What foods are you offering ?
It would moreso be a FS less LFS. I can if you think api is failing that badly. I bet dc has a cool fs.

The San Francisco Bay Saltwater Multi Pack
Reef Nutritium - Mysis Feast
Omega One Flakes and pellets

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back