Fluorescent light question

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again: I have autism and sensory issues and the blue makes my vision start blacking out and I start seeing spots. This isn't a "a lot of people do it so it's fine for you too" situation. It's physically painful and it's like sticking needles in my eyes.
Do you have a particular wavelength that causes issues?
There are sort of blue less LEDs without going into really low color temps like 4000k.

Many spectrums will " work" some apparently better than others.
Below us an example of the concept though probably like 4000k.

Screenshot_20230721-144212.png

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface: I'm not planning on using fluorescents unless I can find ballasts that aren't $500 like the ones on BRS for relatively generic T5 bulbs...
Are there special things I need to know about fluorescent bulbs? I obviously don't have the option of metal halides (I can't even figure out how you put them together) so I'd like to possibly look into the option of using T5 bulbs. The bulbs themselves aren't very expensive even as 'reef branded' (on BRS) so I'm not worried about the bulbs themselves, but more about the fixture. I wonder if it would be possible to use these bulbs in something like a Reptisun hood (and just string them together in a DIY hanging fixture) or a generic fluorescent ballast fixture. I am aware that the ATI fixtures can squeeze out more PAR from the tubes vs. a generic fixture, but I'm not worried about that exactly. Reptisun hoods are also T5HO like the ATI fixture as well. So my questions are (I'm spacing these out because I talk a lot, sorry for the giant post):

- How many bulbs do I need for a 48" long 75 gallon tank? That is, how many fixtures (or how many bulbs in one multi-fixture) would I need to invest in?
Get the ATI Sunpower 6 bulb non dimmable and call it the best day of your life! The fixture will cost a fraction of the amount of money you will give on cartoon named corals.

- I want to have the option of growing as many types of coral as possible; what would this entail? Which ATI bulbs should I use for this?

- I can't do the "pure blue" lighting with little-to-no whites, because I have sensitive eyes and it's very painful to look at. I can have some blue, but my tank would end up being a "rich Windex" rather than "deep blue". How would I do this?

- As part of the above question: would I need to get a "normal white" T5 light to offset the blues of the other? I don't mind algae and I don't consider most types of algae to be "unsightly", I have all the time in the world to maintain it, and it would help with growing food for algae-eating clean up crew. (Part of a balanced diet! - I'm kidding.)
4 Blue Plus and 2 KZ new generation bulbs. You will absolutely LOVE IT!

- Additionally, could I just supplement white lighting with like... I don't know, those one waterproof LED stick on light bars or something? The white lighting is mostly so I don't start seeing spots if I look at my tank, because that's what blue lighting does to my eyes. I start seeing dark spots and it makes everything look like I walked into a dark room from being outside. I could even place them stuck to the glass euro-brace, because my tank is an old 1990's Oceanic.
Get the ATI fixture with the bulbs, no need LEDs!

- Has anybody tried sticking ATI bulbs into a Reptisun T5HO hood? This is more just my curiosity to see if it would work, because I'd be pleasantly surprised.
The reptile fixtures aren't designed to be used over a saltwater system. Get the right thing and be the happiest guy on earth!

- What in the world is the "disco" / "strobe" effect people talk about? How is it any different from "shimmer" that everybody praises? Would a proposed combo of the LED light bars (made for aquariums, they stick under the rims and they're waterproof) + the fluorescents cause this effect?
Disco effect is the effect of lines some LED fixtures emit. They are the ugliest thing IMO. Shimmer are the lines metal halides emit that look line those lines produced by the sun on the sand in the ocean, or those lines you see on the bottom of a pool in a sunny day.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the ATI Sunpower 6 bulb non dimmable and call it the best day of your life! The fixture will cost a fraction of the amount of money you will give on cartoon named corals.

4 Blue Plus and 2 KZ new generation bulbs. You will absolutely LOVE IT!

Get the ATI fixture with the bulbs, no need LEDs!

The reptile fixtures aren't designed to be used over a saltwater system. Get the right thing and be the happiest guy on earth!

Disco effect is the effect of lines some LED fixtures emit. They are the ugliest thing IMO. Shimmer are the lines metal halides emit that look line those lines produced by the sun on the sand in the ocean, or those lines you see on the bottom of a pool in a sunny day.

I am not getting the ATI Sunpower 6 bulb. It is $500 and I will never be spending more than a fraction of that on any coral, shipping included. You are never going to convince me to buy an ATI Sunpower when people have used the cheaper hydroponic fixtures and didn't see any difference.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not getting the ATI Sunpower 6 bulb. It is $500 and I will never be spending more than a fraction of that on any coral, shipping included. You are never going to convince me to buy an ATI Sunpower when people have used the cheaper hydroponic fixtures and didn't see any difference.
How many hydroponics can you buy in 2 years?
They gt very rusty in no time.
Do the test!! LOL!
Waste your money and time.
And they are ugly too. LOL!
I'm not for fashion, but for quality.
The ATI will last you for decades.
Good luck.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the test!! LOL!
Good luck.
I don't understand anything you're saying, but whatever. I'm getting what I'm getting - plenty of people have said they've had no problems at all with them so whatever, have fun trying to convince me to buy a $500 sack of crap.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, sorry to randomly talk about this, but it's been bulding up over the course of about a week.

But I've frankly been about to just delete this account because I feel like such an idiot when I ask questions because they're all stupid questions, and I never get straight answers when I ask anything because "why don't you just buy this $600 thing?" or "why do you want to do that when $600 thing exists?" - And when I ask for budget solutions it's always "well haha this hobby is expensive get used to it!", or just telling me to buy the thing I can't afford that I'm trying to find a solution for.

And this isn't you, mind you; it's just a frustrating thing I can't keep dealing with and I don't know how to delete threads on here to hide my stupidity. I can't buy $600 things. If I could buy $600 things, I would! I'd have a tricked-out Apex system and a big glass tank and I'd have an alkatronic and a trident, and I'd have all the cool fish and all the cool rock and I'd have the good LED lights everybody else can afford and a tricked out sump and a big protein skimmer and calcium reactors and media reactors and co2 scrubbers and all that fancy stuff. I can't though, since I'm on disability. I have to put money on my parents' books and pay the bills with my money. I don't even know if I'm going to keep getting disability.

That's why I'm doing all these stupid jerry-rigged DIY solutions to crap that nobody else has to DIY. I have to find cheap solutions to a hobby I love because I can't afford the ~cool stuff~. I can't even afford a $40 coral since it'll be a waste when it inevitably dies. I can't buy fish online because the overnight shipping is too expensive. I can't pickup anybody's local stuff because I can't drive, and because of who I currently live with I can't do drop-offs either. Everybody in my area doesn't do shipping since it's too much trouble to ship such a short way. No local fish stores, only Petco. I'm just fed up with answering questions as to the 'why' for things. I'm just tired and I regret even making an account on here because it just makes me feel stupid and inadequate for not being able to buy all the stupid $500 stuff that's only $500 because it has "for saltwater" slapped on the label.

I never feel this stupid when I do freshwater tanks. I "wonder why" that is.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the fashion show that is reef keeping may be discouraging for you, as it can be for many. Whether you decide to continue this venture, I think it good to remind you people kept very successful tanks in the 90’s without fancy equipment. Just because many people are pushing you toward an expensive purpose specific fixture, doesn’t mean you can’t illuminate a tank with something cheaper. This hobby didn’t even have any of the brand name stuff when it really took off and people grew corals on basic budgets. It can be done. People just like to recommend what they use. Salt water, rocks, current, and light are about all you need

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, sorry to randomly talk about this, but it's been bulding up over the course of about a week.

But I've frankly been about to just delete this account because I feel like such an idiot when I ask questions because they're all stupid questions, and I never get straight answers when I ask anything because "why don't you just buy this $600 thing?" or "why do you want to do that when $600 thing exists?" - And when I ask for budget solutions it's always "well haha this hobby is expensive get used to it!", or just telling me to buy the thing I can't afford that I'm trying to find a solution for.

And this isn't you, mind you; it's just a frustrating thing I can't keep dealing with and I don't know how to delete threads on here to hide my stupidity. I can't buy $600 things. If I could buy $600 things, I would! I'd have a tricked-out Apex system and a big glass tank and I'd have an alkatronic and a trident, and I'd have all the cool fish and all the cool rock and I'd have the good LED lights everybody else can afford and a tricked out sump and a big protein skimmer and calcium reactors and media reactors and co2 scrubbers and all that fancy stuff. I can't though, since I'm on disability. I have to put money on my parents' books and pay the bills with my money. I don't even know if I'm going to keep getting disability.

That's why I'm doing all these stupid jerry-rigged DIY solutions to crap that nobody else has to DIY. I have to find cheap solutions to a hobby I love because I can't afford the ~cool stuff~. I can't even afford a $40 coral since it'll be a waste when it inevitably dies. I can't buy fish online because the overnight shipping is too expensive. I can't pickup anybody's local stuff because I can't drive, and because of who I currently live with I can't do drop-offs either. Everybody in my area doesn't do shipping since it's too much trouble to ship such a short way. No local fish stores, only Petco. I'm just fed up with answering questions as to the 'why' for things. I'm just tired and I regret even making an account on here because it just makes me feel stupid and inadequate for not being able to buy all the stupid $500 stuff that's only $500 because it has "for saltwater" slapped on the label.

I never feel this stupid when I do freshwater tanks. I "wonder why" that is.
DIY is the best. Well sort of.

A hort t5 with a bunch of ge starcoat 6500k bulbs will give you the look of a very shallow reef.
Want a more reef like look or at least using a "reef product" throw in an ati actinic tube or 2

I assume " royal blue" is, as best as I can guess, probably your biggest irritation.

Bit of inspiration..

DIY LEDs from scratch is fairly simple and as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.

Now keep in mind I'm really a fw guy.
Just have an annoying interest in coral photosynthesis ect.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface: I'm not planning on using fluorescents unless I can find ballasts that aren't $500 like the ones on BRS for relatively generic T5 bulbs...
Are there special things I need to know about fluorescent bulbs? I obviously don't have the option of metal halides (I can't even figure out how you put them together) so I'd like to possibly look into the option of using T5 bulbs. The bulbs themselves aren't very expensive even as 'reef branded' (on BRS) so I'm not worried about the bulbs themselves, but more about the fixture. I wonder if it would be possible to use these bulbs in something like a Reptisun hood (and just string them together in a DIY hanging fixture) or a generic fluorescent ballast fixture. I am aware that the ATI fixtures can squeeze out more PAR from the tubes vs. a generic fixture, but I'm not worried about that exactly. Reptisun hoods are also T5HO like the ATI fixture as well. So my questions are (I'm spacing these out because I talk a lot, sorry for the giant post):

- How many bulbs do I need for a 48" long 75 gallon tank? That is, how many fixtures (or how many bulbs in one multi-fixture) would I need to invest in?

- I want to have the option of growing as many types of coral as possible; what would this entail? Which ATI bulbs should I use for this?

- I can't do the "pure blue" lighting with little-to-no whites, because I have sensitive eyes and it's very painful to look at. I can have some blue, but my tank would end up being a "rich Windex" rather than "deep blue". How would I do this?

- As part of the above question: would I need to get a "normal white" T5 light to offset the blues of the other? I don't mind algae and I don't consider most types of algae to be "unsightly", I have all the time in the world to maintain it, and it would help with growing food for algae-eating clean up crew. (Part of a balanced diet! - I'm kidding.)

- Additionally, could I just supplement white lighting with like... I don't know, those one waterproof LED stick on light bars or something? The white lighting is mostly so I don't start seeing spots if I look at my tank, because that's what blue lighting does to my eyes. I start seeing dark spots and it makes everything look like I walked into a dark room from being outside. I could even place them stuck to the glass euro-brace, because my tank is an old 1990's Oceanic.

- Has anybody tried sticking ATI bulbs into a Reptisun T5HO hood? This is more just my curiosity to see if it would work, because I'd be pleasantly surprised.

- What in the world is the "disco" / "strobe" effect people talk about? How is it any different from "shimmer" that everybody praises? Would a proposed combo of the LED light bars (made for aquariums, they stick under the rims and they're waterproof) + the fluorescents cause this effect?
For what it’s worth ..
I’ve always used t5’s and built my own fixture from a old commercial fixture

I’ve replaced the ballasts 2x already
Best and cheapest place for 54watt t5 ballasts we’re a electrical store
At roughly $75 each

Bulbs are roughly $30 each
For a 75 gal tank you can get away with a 6 bulb fixture but sadly . You will still need to ballasts cause I believe you such is only capable of doing up to 4 bulbs
Mine is 8 bulbs and used it on my 90 and now over my 230

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the test!! LOL!
Good luck.
This, so this!

The vivosun fixture will rot quick, especially in any canopy. Yeah they work but for how long... I went with the let type of fixture for that reason, after the vivosun rotted out. 7" off the top of the tank and my fixture was noticeably rotting within 8 months.

Have you considered a cheaper led fixture(s) smat farm, noopsyche, even black box? I run t5's and led's on both tanks. Also price shop a bit, there are other vendors than what BRS peddles out there.

I've done both fresh and salt over the past few decades, none of it is cheap anymore, but if you want to keep saltwater and keeps cost down, Have you considered just a fowlr tank?

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, so this!

The vivosun fixture will rot quick, especially in any canopy. Yeah they work but for how long... I went with the let type of fixture for that reason, after the vivosun rotted out. 7" off the top of the tank and my fixture was noticeably rotting within 8 months.

Have you considered a cheaper led fixture(s) smat farm, noopsyche, even black box? I run t5's and led's on both tanks. Also price shop a bit, there are other vendors than what BRS peddles out there.

I've done both fresh and salt over the past few decades, none of it is cheap anymore, but if you want to keep saltwater and keeps cost down, Have you considered just a fowlr tank?
(Note: I was not having a good time last night.)

In terms of the cheaper LEDs, a lot of them are still too much for me in the long run (and it's hard to convince the person who is in control of my money to let me buy two $150 lights vs. one $150 fixture + $150 in bulbs. I know, it's dumb). Not to mention my tank is an old Oceanic brand with the super-thick wooden trim - nothing fits on it and I *really, really* don't want to do any DIY - last DIY thing I tried with a lid I tried for so long to get the vinyl spline in place that my fingers were locked and couldn't bend and I had to type with the tips of my middle fingers.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In terms of the cheaper LEDs, a lot of them are still too much for me in the long run (and it's hard to convince the person who is in control of my money to let me buy two $150 lights vs. one $150 fixture + $150 in bulbs. I know, it's dumb). Not to mention my tank is an old Oceanic brand with the super-thick wooden trim - nothing fits on it and I *really, really* don't want to do any DIY - last DIY thing I tried with a lid I tried for so long to get the vinyl spline in place that my fingers were locked and couldn't bend and I had to type with the tips of my middle fingers.
Sounds like this is not the time for you to stat a reef tank.
People like to try help in this case, but the reality of ALL of us will be harsh and it will be the ultimate limitation in any hobby. Set your priorities. My suggestion to you is to wait, study, and make sure you put some money aside for the long run to understand better and get what you really need/want. When you're ready to pull the trigger just make sure you will be able to have the ability to maintain the system you plan for years to come. You definitely don't have to spend thousands, nor buy something very big, specially the expensive crap they sell nowadays, or any million dollar frags with stupid cartoon names!!! But starting with the right light system will define your success and peace of mind for yeas to come. Whichever that light fixture comes to be for your likes/ need. Search and find out what you really want. The worse thing in this hobby is to be stuck with a system that doesn't fit your budget, nor in your wishes. Take your time and keep searching until your financial situation gets better and more stable! The way you say that you are a dependent and the way you refer to that person that you depend on seems that you probably won't get much help, in case you need. Don't give up!

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this is not the time for you to stat a reef tank.
People like to try help in this case, but the reality of ALL of us will be harsh and it will be the ultimate limitation in any hobby. Set your priorities. My suggestion to you is to wait, study, and make sure you put some money aside for the long run to understand better and get what you really need/want. When you're ready to pull the trigger just make sure you will be able to have the ability to maintain the system you plan for years to come. You definitely don't have to spend thousands, nor buy something very big, specially the expensive crap they sell nowadays, or any million dollar frags with stupid cartoon names!!! But starting with the right light system will define your success and peace of mind for yeas to come. Whichever that light fixture comes to be for your likes/ need. Search and find out what you really want. The worse thing in this hobby is to be stuck with a system that doesn't fit your budget, nor in your wishes. Take your time and keep searching until your financial situation gets better and more stable! The way you say that you are a dependent and the way you refer to that person that you depend on seems that you probably won't get much help, in case you need. Don't give up!
I already have a tank set up. It's a 20 gallon, but the rock in it is unstable (stacked precariously) and I'm just generally very unhappy with it, but don't know what to do with the rock I pull out, since I'd like to keep it relatively 'alive'. I was just wanting to expand in the future and with me having autism it makes it hard to get clear answers from people. My financial situation will probably never get better or more stable.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about TWO for a total of $150...

Color temp us prob. around 10000+ K
Prob. around 100w total on the LEDs.
Don't expect sps par numbers.

I suggest getting the timers.

Not sure about the = to 400w mh :eek: but they have decent output

Any 5 row da can hit about 50 par @ 24".
The fw version is also err " bluish" but adds red/green diodes.

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a tank set up. It's a 20 gallon, but the rock in it is unstable (stacked precariously) and I'm just generally very unhappy with it, but don't know what to do with the rock I pull out, since I'd like to keep it relatively 'alive'. I was just wanting to expand in the future and with me having autism it makes it hard to get clear answers from people. My financial situation will probably never get better or more stable.
It sounds like your time, money, and effort may be better spent getting help fixing your current tank- rather then starting over. Solve underlying issues and bring it back. Would suck to spend the money starting over and end up with the same problems. There's alot of smart people on here willing to help

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SORRY the vid is for the 3w 90 degree lenses version... My bad .
Not sure they are made anymore.
They were related to Marineland LEDs.
A lot cheaper when labelled Beamswork.

Color will be about the same though.

Was a sloppy grab...
This unavailable light was similar to what the vid used.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your time, money, and effort may be better spent getting help fixing your current tank- rather then starting over. Solve underlying issues and bring it back. Would suck to spend the money starting over and end up with the same problems. There's alot of smart people on here willing to help
It's less really the same problems but more so "I realize 20 gallons is too small and I goofed up the rock scape, and now it's unfixable in a way that would actually solve the problem, since I don't have a tote to put some of the old rock in and I don't want it to literally just dry out and die".

I want to go bigger because I realize I goofed up hardcore - my rock work was okay for a wider, stout 10 gallon, but when I moved to a 20 gallon (10g cracked) it became too short and too close to the glass. I then goofed it by stacking (not gluing) rock on top, that I don't *exactly want to remove* because I don't want to kill any of my detritus bristleworm cuc, but will probably have to because I have an oversized top crown snail (wavy turban snail, aka "lithopoma undosum", or "megastrea undosum" - same species) and he's like a big dumb bulldozer (and somehow didn't remember I hadn't glued the rock until recently when I was rearranging some of my equipment in the tank).

I also need to buy more cheap (less than $50) dry rock because I plan on making DIY rocks for this larger tank with some tried-and-true methods (not the Aragocrete / GARF method) and need *some* dry rock for bacterial colonies and things like coralline algae to get started on.

It's less of the same problems but more "I didn't have a bigger tank at the time, and only wanted to do 10 gallons since I have experience with micro-managing nano freshwater tanks, and I do have like, 50 ten gallon tanks" - the 20 gallon was sitting outside and I rinsed it out in a panic because my ten gallon cracked suddenly, and the only other decently sized tank I have...

Is this. A 75 gallon acrylic "UniQuarium" with the AIO in-tank sump filter removed. Also, it's super, super scratched up and needs some scratch removal done. I plan on actually using it for a firebelly toad paludarium in the future since it's *really* not good for a full aquarium, like, at all in any capacity and it looks super stupid.

Attachments

• 1690160667873.png
    1690160667873.png
    506 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back