Fluval evo 13.5

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you for sharing that. I’m excited to try sps. I bought a 10$ Acro frag for the lfs that looked like it was gonna die anyhow. Needless to say I was unable to help it out. I know they are super hard so I been looking for easier more beginner friendly ones. I can’t believe you were able to save it. I’m assuming you had to remove the shrimp. I currently have a peppermint shrimp. Hopefully it won’t give me to much of an issue. It does like to go after my Duncan during feeding if I don’t feed it first.
Yeah, they were removed. Now living at the LFS with a large eel, a coral catshark and some maxi mini nems. Seem to get along well in there. No smaller fish to eat them and the 2 big guys don't even notice.

As long as your conditions are stable and you have bright lighting, most of the acros aren't that hard. Only acro we had issues with was an ice fire Echinata, which unfortunately RTNd one week after being added and even with dipping and fragging it, we couldn't save it. All the other stuff has thrived. We even had a couple acro frags completely encrust their plugs in less than 5 weeks.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
How do you like that hygger wave maker
A lot actually it’s really powerful for how small of a footprint it has. Completely programmable to your needs. I run random flow which is set to factory settings. Corals and fish seem to like it. No complaints.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they were removed. Now living at the LFS with a large eel, a coral catshark and some maxi mini nems. Seem to get along well in there. No smaller fish to eat them and the 2 big guys don't even notice.

As long as your conditions are stable and you have bright lighting, most of the acros aren't that hard. Only acro we had issues with was an ice fire Echinata, which unfortunately RTNd one week after being added and even with dipping and fragging it, we couldn't save it. All the other stuff has thrived. We even had a couple acro frags completely encrust their plugs in less than 5 weeks.
That’s very cool. Glad to see you rehoused them. Would love to see there set up with the eel and nems. My lfs set up a large tank with bta a ray and very large eel. Cool to see. I would never own one personally though the eel that is.

I believe my light was the cause of the death to the acro. It’s the stick light for the fluval. (I am upgrading to the ai prime hd which is currently being delivered.) I have also lost a torch which I added way to early. and alveopora. My parameters are fairly stable the only thing I test that really fluctuates is KH which is lately and po4. I have a ton of Coraline algae growing which I know is not helping with the KH but I believe my salifert test kit for KH is not as accurate as I though to be I recently bought a new test kit (getting low on old one). When I tested with both tests exactly the same way they came out with two completely different readings. 10.6 and 12.2 lol idk. Got me at a loss at the moment. So I honestly don’t know what I been at for over 8 months now. Thinking of going to Hanna on this on as well.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had this when I started my Evo.
This app is awesome. I can honestly say there isn’t anything I don’t like about it. Worth the 20$ a year. Nothing wrong with the free version either I just like being able to add more pics and tanks haha.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I updated my light and lid Finally. To the ai prime hd and the lid is from Karken reef. l choose the saxby setting @70% vs the ab+ @50%. I found more benefits and advantages to running the saxby setting. Plus I ran my stock light for 12 hrs a day on a dimmer/timer before so the 13hr setting on saxby worked out great for me. I set it on acclimation mode for 30 days @50%. I may regret this decision if I loose my Duncan. Of course my gsp is taking off and my Favia is changing colors. Currently coming up on my 2nd week for acclimation. This is how I made my choice between the 2 based on charts and tons research here’s my outcome for comparison see pic #1. Lmk what you guys think. Light is mounted 9 1/2 -10 inches above the water like. As of today my Duncan has had a significant amount tissue loss im starting to second guess my choice on the light. Been spot feeding it 2-3 times a week trying to help it stay alive and recover from the light change. I have attached some Photos to show the loss on the Duncan. Im almost think I may have to little light on it due to the reduction in percentage and acclimation mode on top of it. 2nd pic is middle of September under stock light. 3rd pic is Monday last week. 4th pic is as of yesterday. I do have to add I love the colors this light brings out of the corals much better than stock light. The control ability of the light is insane it almost makes it to where it’s too hard because you have too many choices and to much control.

0552FA1A-C0F8-4BB3-8C62-783B3D60326B.png FF675379-BDAD-4DDF-8C96-C5BF15054140.jpeg 9BD7C49C-1E3E-430F-9CBB-A58888BE4B66.jpeg 70C4566F-9F15-4295-81EE-24693E759230.jpeg

Last edited:

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I'm running the same tank with the same light and lid. I'm running stock Saxby too. I agree with everything you've said - great light!

I added my first SPS 3 weeks ago (1 monti digitata, and 2 monti stellata) and all of them are doing quite well. While this is the smallest tank I've ever added SPS to (and thus the hardest to maintain stable parameters), I do think people tend to generalize how hard SPS is to keep and put it all on a pedestal. Many varieties are relatively bomb proof if you have a moderately mature/stable tank. Not everything is a super challenging acro and I think many reefers will be surprised with how successful they can be with some of the hardier varieties.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I'm running the same tank with the same light and lid. I'm running stock Saxby too. I agree with everything you've said - great light!

I added my first SPS 3 weeks ago (1 monti digitata, and 2 monti stellata) and all of them are doing quite well. While this is the smallest tank I've ever added SPS to (and thus the hardest to maintain stable parameters), I do think people tend to generalize how hard SPS is to keep and put it all on a pedestal. Many varieties are relatively bomb proof if you have a moderately mature/stable tank. Not everything is a super challenging acro and I think many reefers will be surprised with how successful they can be with some of the hardier varieties.
Thank you. I took a look at your thread tank looks good loving your Duncan very nice. Are you still running your intensity at 60%? Did you stick out the hole 30 day acclamation period? I agree with you on that. I think people make it out to be harder than it can be or maybe they are right and some people just have a hard time picking things up or comprehending. I find research and tons of good reading make all the difference in the world. i plan on trying a few easy sps nothing crazy though. Maybe monti and a seriatopora.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I took a look at your thread tank looks good loving your Duncan very nice. Are you still running your intensity at 60%? Did you stick out the hole 30 day acclamation period? I agree with you on that. I think people make it out to be harder than it can be or maybe they are right and some people just have a hard time picking things up or comprehending. I find research and tons of good reading make all the difference in the world. i plan on trying a few easy sps nothing crazy though. Maybe monti and a seriatopora.
Thanks!

I did stick with the 30 day acclimation period. It worked pretty well when I got the light. I haven't noticed any issues with the existing or new coral at all. Color is actually better on my softies now than it was with the old light which was a concern with the intensity. I actually did another 7-day acclimation period when I added my SPS too. I'm not sure I needed to (the guy I got them from was running pretty strong lights on a 15+ year old reef), but I did it anyway. I'm running Saxby unmodified and 100% acclimated now. So my Royal is 99% at peak, the Blue is 93%, and the rest are quite a bit lower. I know people have said it's too intense for this tank, but I haven't seen any issues with it yet and I want to keep the SPS happy (most people run LPS and softies so there's no harm in the lower intensity).

Good call on the choices. I'll likely add a birdsnest too. In previous tanks, I've found them to be a bit more finicky than the montis in terms of acclimation so that's why I'm waiting a bit.

nytexas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current parameters. I am battling on keeping dkh at a reasonable level have been up to 11 last few weeks currently doing 10-15% weekly. Before batting dkh I was doing 20% once a month.
Tanks looking good ! What app is this that you use?

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this my current status report. My duncan is making a nice turn around after losing 4 out 7 total new heads. I Have started target feeding recommended dosage of Reef Roids Every other day and have seen nice extension in polyps and very happy looking corals. I’m almost finished with the acclimation mode on the ai prime. I believe its down to 1 day now. I’m Beginning to like the light more and more. Especially with the intensity going up. I have stated seeing a growth in gha in very small portions but hasn’t gotten out of control quite yet. I will continue to keep an eye on that and make any necessary adjustments to lights if needed. I haven’t made much of an adjustment on feeding other that cutting back on frozen with the addition of the reef roids. Po4 is staying between .02 and .05. I’m happy with those numbers. I have managed to keep them pretty close threw out the tanks life. Lps seem to really appreciate more of a higher nutrient. I plan on adding a few additions to the tank around Christmas time. Still trying to decide on what corals I want to add. I have a few in mind that I really want. Just tying to not overloaded the tank wits corals. I would like to give them plenty of room to grow. I would rather have a few large coral then have the tank overloaded with a bunch small frag’s. One of my absolute favorite corals is frogspawn this is a must have i also would like to possibly add monit or Seriato. Haven’t decided between favia or ricordea or possibly both haha. This will hopefully complete my tank so i can just watch it grow. Then when i run out of space and need to transfer corals to bigger tank. I can use this opportunity to talk my wife into a larger system. At least thats the plan. Picture attached is as of 2 days ago.

DB41E246-0D52-4665-945F-C2A4117AE280.jpeg

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. So after adding the new light I did stick out the 30 day acclimation period. I have to say wish I would have done this from the beginning. The corals look incredible. My gsp has gone nuts growing like the weed it known to be. My Duncan gave me quit a scare…but has recovered nicely in a very slow but steady manner currently has 2 new heads coming in and the original one I started with has gotten a lot bigger and looking healthy. looks amazing under new light. This is after i caught my female clown face deep in the mouth if the duncan beating the crap out of it. Biting the polyps and much more. I have managed to keep her away from it but has not been easy. Takes a lot of effort threw out the day i swear the second I turn my back she inching her way back over. I’m about to set up a time out box for her. I have found a 4x4 inch magnetic breeder box that i plan on using on her as soon as it arrives. No this is not a Permanent living situation for her this is an attempt to teach Rules like a small child lol!! I have held off purchasing any new corals because of her. So in this sad attempt. I hope that I can get het to mind her manners. Or I feel it will be necessary to find her a nem to rough up and host. I’m scared to do this because of all the horror stories i read all the time about them nuking the tank Or causing a flood by blocking the overflow. I have been doing tons of Research to find out the right type nems for my clowns and how to prevent all this. I found some products to help cover the wave maker But not much help in the flooding department so If anyone has any suggestions as how to prevent them from blocking the overflow box please feel free to share.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about your Hygger wave maker? How it works on random mode? Can you set the strength of the wave?
Yes it’s completely customizable I have lowered the power due to that fact that it looked like hurricane in the tank I have changed the setting mainly to the lowest frequency and at 40% power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took you the Duncan and added it to my sons 5 gallon macro tank I stared up. No fish only sexy shrimp and snails. Currently trying to adjust to the light again. It did not grow a single head back under the ai prime in 6 months from the 7 grew under the stock light in about the same amount of time. The bta split and has been slowly closing the gap on the frogspawn. I have managed to see them come into contact and the bta retreated from the sting of the frogspawn. I was still shocked even though I have read they can be less aggressive with corals. I added some new fish only for a short period time though. Got a good deal on both I couldn’t pass up. Six line and tailspot. They will be going in the 30L aio I have purchased and am awaiting on. This will be set up in the new house as soon as it’s done in September. So far everyone is getting along nicely.

2D06395C-D0D8-4F56-A2A3-D7B688B92A9B.jpeg

Last edited:

guily yalai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s completely customizable I have lowered the power due to that fact that it looked like hurricane in the tank I’m have changed the setting mainly to the lowest frequency and at 40% power.
Thank you, that's useful. I will customize the wave to lowest frequency first to find out the right mode when it arrives me.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did it again….I changed up the scape in anticipation for new goals. This is going to be my anemone tank. Plan on filling it with rfa and letting the bta take up more space. I’ll Be Leaving the frogspawn and taking the gsp covered rock out and adding it to the new tank. Which I changed to a IM 60 AIO. And I’ll slide the lower island back to the corner. I added a gorgonian to which has been doing well until yesterday it decided to close up and has yet to reopen. Also added a Pulsing Xenia on a little island. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. My gsp got all mad and is having draw backs from the new move but everything else is happy and coming out. Lmk what you guys thing of the new scape.
7FE5006D-768A-40E8-91E1-5662F1C5C668.jpeg
4FFBBD8A-1505-463E-9C9C-1F12EB3FCDDE.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back