Fluval Evo 5 Light Mount

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone 3d printed any mounts to install the stock lighting back to an Evo 5? I am not really up to date on what 3d printer files are used or how to draft projects to print. I found some light extenders on etsy that raises the stock light 2 inches but I want to create something similar to mount the light elsewhere on the tank wall. If anyone has experience in creating this type of thing from scratch, please direct message me and I can explain the project in greater detail.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a printer yourself? :)

Not sure if you have had a look at Thangs.com - here's tons and tons of free 3D models for printing.

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found many of the ones online and have a few friends with 3d printers. Thought maybe I could get them to print things and give back some cash for the materials. Would be much cheaper than buying on etsy and shipping preprinted items. I guess a new question has now come up about which printer materials are known to be tank safe.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found many of the ones online and have a few friends with 3d printers. Thought maybe I could get them to print things and give back some cash for the materials. Would be much cheaper than buying on etsy and shipping preprinted items. I guess a new question has now come up about which printer materials are known to be tank safe.
I was looking into this when I ordered my Bambu printer and here's what i found online:

- White ABS and Food-Grade PETG are the recommended aquarium-safe filaments to use when 3D printing parts for aquariums.

- PLA filaments are safe but can break down after a few months & Nylon can absorb water and swell.

- FDA-Approved printing filaments are great when wanting colored filaments.

:)

Lots of shops; both online and LFS's sell 3D printed stuff for your aquarium now a days! Browse a bit online and check out what materials they use. You can replicate that as you see fit.

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the filament and PETG is about the same $18 a roll. Curious how to figure out the amount needed so I can cost compare but I have to believe that it would be cheaper than an Etsy shop with shipping.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the filament and PETG is about the same $18 a roll. Curious how to figure out the amount needed so I can cost compare but I have to believe that it would be cheaper than an Etsy shop with shipping.
Your mate with the printer can tell you that once you find the file you want to print! :) The slicing software will tell you time and how much material is needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back