Fluval Flex 32.5 Conversion Build

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Fluval Flex build setup,aquascaped and water added.

So the backstory here is I had this tank setup as a freshwater (stock) setup. I like the look of the white setup so figured I'd just use this sytem and upgrade it to accomodate corals. I have years of saltwater experience (fish only) tanks,albeit years ago, and I have wanted to take on a reef system,so away we go!

Upgrades to the stock setup include:

Aquasky Marine 3.0 Lighting (on order since they won't be turned on for a while)
Sicca Silent 1.5 return pump
In Tank media baskets
Eheim Jagwr 100W heater
Hydor Koralia Nano Flow pump 425 gph ( Think I'm gonna get another one,not sure if I'm crazy about its flow rate tbh) 2 may be needed but it could be overkill. Thoughts??

New items purchased for the conversion:

Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt
Carib Sea Special Grade Arag Alive Sand
RODI System 50 GPD
30 lbs Carib Sea Life Rock

Got all the other small necessary goodies,Refractometer,glue,epoxies,digital thermometer etc....

Thats about it so far. Gonna add a couple clowns to get things going here in a couple days.

Excited for my next step up in the hobby and I welcome any and all thoughts,tips,tricks,critiques or no-no's.Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to sharing my journey along the way.

20210724_181704.jpg 20210725_102701.jpg 20210725_102714.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw in some bacteria in a bottle and some ammonia (1ppm) to let it cycle for a week or 2 while your fish are in QT

OP
OP
RoGReeferRV

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water temperature reading 79 with the lights off. Common theme on this tank setup. Wasn't an issue on the freshwater setup,however once the Marine 3.0 light is installed and on its daylight schedule could be an issue. Will adjust and adapt accordingly.

Side note to self,salinity too high reading at 1.28 @79°. In process of removing some to add fresh RODI.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good RoGReeferRV! I’ve only seen a few of the white ones converted to salt and I really like the look. I’m the the process of setting up the black version and it sounds like we’re setting them up at the same time; I also put sand, rock, and water in over this past weekend. Good luck with your cycle!

OP
OP
RoGReeferRV

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good RoGReeferRV! I’ve only seen a few of the white ones converted to salt and I really like the look. I’m the the process of setting up the black version and it sounds like we’re setting them up at the same time; I also put sand, rock, and water in over this past weekend. Good luck with your cycle!
Thanks,you too JReef3! You got a build thread up I see,I'll check it out.

We'll see how the white holds up over time with algae and what not. Be more of a challenge to keep clean I'm sure. Wasn't bad when it was freshwater

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will probably need more flow eventually from my experience with the tank depending on what kind of coral you want to keep. I ended up getting a nero 3 and love it, but at times I consider getting another one just to add more variable flow around the tank.

OP
OP
RoGReeferRV

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will probably need more flow eventually from my experience with the tank depending on what kind of coral you want to keep. I ended up getting a nero 3 and love it, but at times I consider getting another one just to add more variable flow around the tank.
Yeah I'm thinking the one Koralia pump isn't enough. Gonna get another one,maybe even a size up since I'm not that impressed with it's flow anyways. Can you get two different gph flow rate pumps? Would one over power the other so to speak?

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can get two, it will create more random flow where they hit each other. The only issue with those pumps is that they are not adjustable.

Back