Fluval Flex 32.5

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build is the Fluval 32.5 saltwater tank. All stock setup for now exept my Tunze 9001 protein skimmer.

34 pounds carabsea life rock
Reef crystals salt
Agra-alive special grade reef sand
CP1 circulation pump
CP2 circulation pump
Fluval m150 heater
inkbird 308 controller
Tunze 9001 protein skimmer

IMG_E4449.JPG

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a great start! Is an ATO in your near term plans?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is hard to beat the quality of the Tunze (but the price is a bit higher). I have two of the AutoAqua which is reasonable (but now discontinued) and a DIY ATO. I recently added an IceCap for a new nano setup and have been pleased with the blend of solid performance and moderate price.

OP
OP
ClaynAlex

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to beat the quality of the Tunze (but the price is a bit higher). I have two of the AutoAqua which is reasonable (but now discontinued) and a DIY ATO. I recently added an IceCap for a new nano setup and have been pleased with the blend of solid performance and moderate price.
Cant go wrong with Tunze but yeah i was actually looking at the "auto aqua smart ato lite" on amazon, either way i appreciate the input.

OP
OP
ClaynAlex

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need an ato on this tank if you keep the lid on. Basically zero evaporation.
True for the most part but I have a little problem with high temps when my lights are on so I keep the feeder lid open and the back plate off which lets some evaporation but not bad.

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True for the most part but I have a little problem with high temps when my lights are on so I keep the feeder lid open and the back plate off which lets some evaporation but not bad
I have a heating issue too on hotter days. I only have the stock light too. i ended up taking off the back access panel and put two computer fans on there connected to the Inkbird cooling plug which seems to help. I really want to grow some LPS but I think I either need the second light which is going to make them temps go up more or I thought about removing the lid and putting AI Prime lights? Are you going to try to grow coral? Can you post a pic of how you have installed the Tunze 9001 protein skimmer?

Last edited:

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I also added a second light. I did replace the return pump with a mighty jet 328 and got rid of the sponge filter and went with intank media holders. The highest mine gets is 79.80 degrees. I also run both lights wit 100% on blue, purple , cyan. 0% for red and 15% white. Hope this helps.

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I also added a second light. I did replace the return pump with a mighty jet 328 and got rid of the sponge filter and went with intank media holders. The highest mine gets is 79.80 degrees. I also run both lights wit 100% on blue, purple , cyan. 0% for red and 15% white. Hope this helps.
Do you have any corals?

OP
OP
ClaynAlex

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heating issue too on hotter days. I only have the stock light too. i ended up taking off the back access panel and put two computer fans on there connected to the Inkbird cooling plug which seems to help. I really want to grow some LPS but I think I either need the second light which is going to make them temps go up more or I thought about removing the lid and putting AI Prime lights? Are you going to try to grow coral? Can you post a pic of how you have installed the Tunze 9001 protein skimmer?
This is how I have my skimmer installed

Attachments

• 5FA3EB7C-0B00-4489-829D-5AFF0D356DF4.jpeg
    5FA3EB7C-0B00-4489-829D-5AFF0D356DF4.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
ClaynAlex

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have my skimmer installed
Yes i have coral as well. Stock single light, Zoas i put in a month ago just produced another polyp, candycane coral was only put in 2 weeks ago so i can't say much for growth but it is happy. Cyphastrea was put in also 2 weeks ago i wanna say i see some more of the plug it was on is encrusted but then again its only been 2 weeks so time will tell.

OP
OP
ClaynAlex

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you added fans to the back, did you do 1 or 2? Since I added 2, I noticed I have about 1/2 gallon of evaporation a week now. I did a whole write up of how to do it since people are always asking about how to control the temps better.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-flex-32-5-heat-issues.819646/
I just added that 1 fan, keeps my temps where i want it. I need to keep track of evaporation but i'm guessing i'm somewhere around the same as you.

Fazzimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I've been looking into getting the tunze 9001 DC skimmer, but I'm not sure how it'll fit into the back compartment. Would you be willing to share some pictures of how it installs?

Whoops, just saw how you did it. Never mind then. :)

Last edited:

OSUTeege

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ClaynAlex thanks for being the proof of concept for the tunze 9001. I wasnt planning to run a skimmer on this tank. But I have had GHA going strong for about 2.5 months - manual removal, vibrant, smaller feedings, weekly water changes, reef cleaners CUC, tailspot blenny and nothing is working. Maybe the nutrients will get back into line with a skimmer.

I already ditched the lid and went with AI primes + mesh top. Are there any other fitment issues to worry about in the center chamber? I assume since the unit is submerged there aren't any issues with startup after a power outage?

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have coral as well. Stock single light, Zoas i put in a month ago just produced another polyp, candycane coral was only put in 2 weeks ago so i can't say much for growth but it is happy. Cyphastrea was put in also 2 weeks ago i wanna say i see some more of the plug it was on is encrusted but then again its only been 2 weeks so time will tell.
How are the corals doing?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back