Fluval Flex Filtration Flaws?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does help some but since it’s only been a day, I’m letting it go for another day or two before I really judge anything. I am also going to upgrade the pump to the Sicce 1.5 today to see if more flow helps in this endeavor. I think the stock pump is just weak. I upgraded the pump on my Evo almost immediately & got great results there. Not sure why I would think this tank would be any different but I also don’t have any corals the require a lot of flow in the flex.
Yeah, I really just rely on the return pump to keep water moving through the filtration. I have 2-790gph wavemakers that keep the display moving

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I can get the filtration issues all ironed out in the Flex, I think I’ll eventually end up with a Kraken lid and new lighting… two AI Primes, most likely, if I end up deciding to add any more coral besides the leathers, gsp and Xenia.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I really just rely on the return pump to keep water moving through the filtration. I have 2-790gph wavemakers that keep the display moving
That’s what I had been doing too! The little Hygger mini wavemakers are quite good for this tank, IMO. Not crazy expensive, easy to program… the only downside is that they sit flat against the glass and you can’t angle them in any specific direction. I think I’m going to eventually end up switching to Jebao or something else comparable that I can aim a little better. The ones I have are probably not really helping my situation.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can get the filtration issues all ironed out in the Flex, I think I’ll eventually end up with a Kraken lid and new lighting… two AI Primes, most likely, if I end up deciding to add any more coral besides the leathers, gsp and Xenia.
My tank is topless and I have a $65 Aquaknight A029 over it. I can bring myself to purchase a $250 light for a tank that is $150 new lol (I have the 15g)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I had been doing too! The little Hygger mini wavemakers are quite good for this tank, IMO. Not crazy expensive, easy to program… the only downside is that they sit flat against the glass and you can’t angle them in any specific direction. I think I’m going to eventually end up switching to Jebao or something else comparable that I can aim a little better. The ones I have are probably not really helping my situation.
Funny that you mention Jebaos, I have 2 Jebao SLW-5 in the tank! I don't have them angled though, they point directly at eachother and I have them on master/slave mode so one pump turns on for 60sec and then the other. With the flow reversing every minute I really don't have any dead spots

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you want a lid, I just upgraded to a 75g and am selling my flex, I have one of those very lids up for grabs!

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank.
After reading all this I had all the same problems and tried to make my own covers for the bottom intakes but it never really worked well.
I actually took the tank down put everything in my 110 and ripped out the whole back ! I want to drill the tank but to scared to do it lol
I really like the tank and for as bad as the AIO was stuff grew like a weed. And I like the curved front really alot.
I am reading up on drilling it but idk.
Here's the tank with no back.
For now I'll keep reading about drilling it.
Imo the back is just horrible or it was just me lol I had the "oil slick" on top of the water no matter what I did. The water just does not go thru the slots
Hopefully over Thanksgiving I'll drill it.

Attachments

• 16372006926436603635963086978844.jpg
    16372006926436603635963086978844.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 38

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the current usa powerheads pretty cheap and worked really good and very controllable. Check them out.
Had them over a year now and all of them still work good

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same tank.
After reading all this I had all the same problems and tried to make my own covers for the bottom intakes but it never really worked well.
I actually took the tank down put everything in my 110 and ripped out the whole back ! I want to drill the tank but to scared to do it lol
I really like the tank and for as bad as the AIO was stuff grew like a weed. And I like the curved front really alot.
I am reading up on drilling it but idk.
Here's the tank with no back.
For now I'll keep reading about drilling it.
Imo the back is just horrible or it was just me lol I had the "oil slick" on top of the water no matter what I did. The water just does not go thru the slots
Hopefully over Thanksgiving I'll drill it.
I cannot wait to see how this turns out! I would be scared to drill it also, but I’m with you on the look of the tank. I love it! I just can’t deal with the oil slick. Nothing I have tried so far has fixed my problem. :( it does seem like something only a sump can really fix at this point!

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait to see how this turns out! I would be scared to drill it also, but I’m with you on the look of the tank. I love it! I just can’t deal with the oil slick. Nothing I have tried so far has fixed my problem. :( it does seem like something only a sump can really fix at this point!
Yes that is what I'm going for a sump !
For now I might just

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I just seen I didn't finish my post.
I might get a hob filter or drill it idk I go back and forth 10 times a day haha

Back