Fluval Marine 3.0 15-24" light + EVO

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post this out here to see if anyone has any experience with the Fluval Marine 3.0 LED light and specifically with it installed on the EVO and what settings were used to yield good results.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used it personally, but I know several people who upgraded their EVO 13.5 with the Marine 3.0 and indicated it was well worth the upgrade.
Thanks - hopefully some owners on the forum can see this and chime in.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the 3.0 and ended up upgrading to the cheaper 21LEDusa bars. The power of the 3.0 and those little LED chips just didn't do it (although light spread was great...perfect light for fish only).

That said, I'm trying another light (Noopsyche mini) in a few weeks.

If you plan to use the hood, the 3.0 is probably your best bet for fit, but if you want to grow LPS corals and not run whites at max, you can try to DIY add LED strips inside the hood to supplement.

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the 3.0 and ended up upgrading to the cheaper 21LEDusa bars. The power of the 3.0 and those little LED chips just didn't do it (although light spread was great...perfect light for fish only).

If you plan to use the hood, the 3.0 is probably your best bet for fit, but if you want to grow LPS corals and not run whites at max, you can try to DIY add LED strips inside the hood to supplement.

I ran these lights for years even on a 2ft plus deep tank and they were able to rapidly grow softies, lps and bubble tip anemones. I would definitely not run whites at max on a shallow evo and definitely not for lps that don’t like too much light.

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post this out here to see if anyone has any experience with the Fluval Marine 3.0 LED light and specifically with it installed on the EVO and what settings were used to yield good results.

Thanks
What corals do you have?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have?
Thanks for chiming in and great to hear that your experience with the Fluval EVO marine 3.0 was a positive one. I have a small amount of soft corals and zoas with 1 frogspawn and a torch.

Do you recall what settings you used? I have the whites at 20%

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all colours at 100% as I like the depth the red gives and there aren’t many red leds in the unit so can have it on 100%, I have white on 25% for 4 hours and 50% ramp up peak for 2 hours in the middle of the day period, if you have good results with what you are doing at 20% I’d leave it as is none of the corals you have need high lights, the evo is shallow so you don’t need to push the whites too hard. I have 2 x the same light on a 4ft tank which is 70cm deep and I have bubble tips I’m that one, so on that on I push the light to 100% on all channels just because of the depth of the tank. Every situation is different so if you are happy with 20% I’d leave it alone.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all colours at 100% as I like the depth the red gives and there aren’t many red leds in the unit so can have it on 100%, I have white on 25% for 4 hours and 50% ramp up peak for 2 hours in the middle of the day period, if you have good results with what you are doing at 20% I’d leave it as is none of the corals you have need high lights, the evo is shallow so you don’t need to push the whites too hard. I have 2 x the same light on a 4ft tank which is 70cm deep and I have bubble tips I’m that one, so on that on I push the light to 100% on all channels just because of the depth of the tank. Every situation is different so if you are happy with 20% I’d leave it alone.
Thanks Lita - appreciate your insight with regards. I'm going to experiment with the Reds - I only have that at 5% - I'm still navigating my way around this light and trying to figure out the 'best' settings for my arrangement - so far it's working, but I like to explore more and ensure I'm setting the best lighting possible for what I have.

Just to confirm: you're using the 15-24 inch version of the light yes? If so, I"m glad to hear that it's doing a great job on your 4ft tank x 70cm depth. Besides the bubble tip, what other corals do you have in there?

willnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I've been running it on my 13.5 gal Fluval sea. Keep the red down to max 10%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-195151.png
    Screenshot_20230112-195151.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 185

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lita - appreciate your insight with regards. I'm going to experiment with the Reds - I only have that at 5% - I'm still navigating my way around this light and trying to figure out the 'best' settings for my arrangement - so far it's working, but I like to explore more and ensure I'm setting the best lighting possible for what I have.

Just to confirm: you're using the 15-24 inch version of the light yes? If so, I"m glad to hear that it's doing a great job on your 4ft tank x 70cm depth. Besides the bubble tip, what other corals do you have in there?
Hi I am using the small version of the light 22w on the evo because it fit perfectly in the lid. On my 4ft tank which is 70cm deep I am using 2 x 46w versions of the same light pushed to nearly max 100% all colour channels and 80% white. In that I have mushrooms, zoas , softies, lps and 8 bubbletip anemones that started as 1 . Everything has explosive growth to the point I have to frag and prune continuously. I do not dose anything and only do 25% water change monthly.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am using the small version of the light 22w on the evo because it fit perfectly in the lid. On my 4ft tank which is 70cm deep I am using 2 x 46w versions of the same light pushed to nearly max 100% all colour channels and 80% white. In that I have mushrooms, zoas , softies, lps and 8 bubbletip anemones that started as 1 . Everything has explosive growth to the point I have to frag and prune continuously. I do not dose anything and only do 25% water change monthly.
Thanks - I have the same on the EVO. What do you have in that tank and what are your light settings at and would you say the 22watt version is yielding the same success as the 46W?

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This evo is a new tank. I currently have lps zoas and a small rainbow bubbletip.

I am running colours at 100% on all channels with 25% white for 6 hours and there’s a two hour ramp up/down either end . So far everything looks happy. I will probably add a mid day higher peak of the white but for now keeping things lower as I don’t want to stimulate unwanted algae growths.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    29.4 MB
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This evo is a new tank. I currently have lps zoas and a small rainbow bubbletip.

I am running colours at 100% on all channels with 25% white for 6 hours and there’s a two hour ramp up/down either end . So far everything looks happy. I will probably add a mid day higher peak of the white but for now keeping things lower as I don’t want to stimulate unwanted algae growths.
Thanks for posting the video - neat to see the clown hosting like that. Without the white channel, the PAR readings are on the low end. Here's were I"m confused with regards - I'm told that corals need and use only Blue wavelength to grow and be healthy, so if this light is weak in PAR with the Blue channel, and increasing the intensity of the White channel brings up the PAR value quite a bit, this isn't useful as the corals don't use the white channel. In other words, having a high PAR value doesn't do much then since it's the white channel that's contributing the most.

Unless, I"m not understanding this entirely on PAR distribution relationship with colors and how they are used by corals.

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s not correct as white light contains a spectrum of colours and also helps with light penetration which is less important in the evo as it’s shallow but more important in deeper tanks.

you also need to consider what you are stocking in your tank for example most sps species want higher par most lps want moderate to low lights this is why it’s not a one size fits all situation, some people could run the lights one way and be very successful but that same setup won’t work for someone else

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back