fluval phosphate and fluval calcium tests

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with these test readings? these are the only tests i have available to me since i live in the middle of nowhere. i dunno if these readings are good or if im doing it right since the calcium one you gotta add and multiple and divide things.

the phos one says 0-1.0 mg/l is the ideal phosphate range and my phos test is 0.25

the calcium one ....i had to add 14 drops of bottle 3 to get the color to change from pink to purple then according to the back with the calculations it comes out to be

280 calcium concentration
700 calcium hardness
420 mag hardness
87 mag

i have no idea if these numbers are right or what the range should be....this is my first salt water tank

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with fluval test kits .
but will say the numbers are confusing comparing to other test kits .
Example my tank

calcium : 425 ppm
Alkalinity : 7.5
MAGNISUIM : 1350 ppm
Salinity : 1.025

the values listed above are not anything I’ve seen

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the Fluval Phosphate test a week or two go from the local Petco. I also picked up the Calcium one as well, but they had an API on the shelf... I was being impatient and probably should have just waited since I was putting in a BRS order; however, it read 0.25 just like your reading. Strangely, it took forever to register the value - like 15 minutes.

From what I have seen from the BRS videos, 0.25 is a pretty good value assuming the nitrates are a 5:1 ratio (I think?).

OP
OP
B

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the Fluval Phosphate test a week or two go from the local Petco. I was being impatient and probably should have just waited since I was putting in a BRS order; however, it read 0.25 just like your reading. Strangely, it took forever to register the value - like 15 minutes.

From what I have seen from the BRS videos, 0.25 is a pretty good value assuming the nitrates are a 5:1 ratio (I think?).
the fluval tests were awful especially the calcium it was so confusing lol i use the API on my freshwater so figured i'd pick up the API reef one...i just need to figure out a way to test magnesium now

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found a reef API test kit now...so i can test everything easier, how do i find a test for magnesium?
The reef API kit .
what tests does it include ?
i just API test and got:

phos 0.25 ppm
carbonate hardness 179 ppm or 10 dkh
calcium 440 ppm
those aren’t too bad .
10 being a little on the higher side
Depending what salt . I believe reef crystals are a little higher

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fluval tests were awful especially the calcium it was so confusing lol i use the API on my freshwater so figured i'd pick up the API reef one...i just need to figure out a way to test magnesium now
Of magnesium wasn’t in the kit . I wouldn’t worry about it right now but when you place your next order , see if you can get salifert brand kits .
higher quality and easier to use IMO

cal , alk and magnesium

I use salifert for calcium and magnesium
Hanna for alk ,phosphorus , and even bought the lr nitrate Hanna .
salinity I use Hanna but double check with a refractometer

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to remember the API calcium test kit .
the number of drops if it was 20 drops
You multiply by 20 ( 400 ppm )
The colour change was almost impossible to see .
Those were the old days lol

OP
OP
B

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of magnesium wasn’t in the kit . I wouldn’t worry about it right now but when you place your next order , see if you can get salifert brand kits .
higher quality and easier to use IMO

cal , alk and magnesium

I use salifert for calcium and magnesium
Hanna for alk ,phosphorus , and even bought the lr nitrate Hanna .
salinity I use Hanna but double check with a refractometer
yeah all i have by me is a petco....so i guess i'm gonna have to order online

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have corals or fish in the tank yet ?
Without corals , mag , cal or not really needed yet. .
What size tank ?
how long has it been running ?

OP
OP
B

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have corals or fish in the tank yet ?
Without corals , mag , cal or not really needed yet. .
What size tank ?
how long has it been running ?
a plug of zoas and a duncan for corals
2 clown fish and 1 fire fish
13. 5 gal evo
7 weeks....tomorrow is my weekly water change day

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. I thought that looked like the 3rd evo chamber - I am 7 weeks 2 days into an evo 13.5 as well.

As Rmckoy mentioned, you can probably hold off on testing mag, calc, and alk for awhile as long as you are doing weekly / by weekly water changes - I do a 3-4 gallon weekly myself and my bioload is similar to yours.

plug of: zoa, duncan, 2x monti, gsp, xenia that is growing out of hand, a red mushroom, and one other sps.
3 clowns
cleaner and peppermint shrimp
snails and hermits for cuc

I do dose MB7 in all WC water, and maybe every 3 days a tiny 1/8th cap full. I also feed the hundreds of hitchhiker pods on the glass (seachem) phyto and have never had to clean the glass. I was dosing purple up to try getting my pH from 7.7 to 8.2 and picked up some soda ash, kassawasser, and 2-part, but that still needs more research and better test kits.

OP
OP
B

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. I thought that looked like the 3rd evo chamber - I am 7 weeks 2 days into an evo 13.5 as well.

As Rmckoy mentioned, you can probably hold off on testing mag, calc, and alk for awhile as long as you are doing weekly / by weekly water changes - I do a 3-4 gallon weekly myself and my bioload is similar to yours.

plug of: zoa, duncan, 2x monti, gsp, xenia that is growing out of hand, a red mushroom, and one other sps.
3 clowns
cleaner and peppermint shrimp
snails and hermits for cuc

I do dose MB7 in all WC water, and maybe every 3 days a tiny 1/8th cap full. I also feed the hundreds of hitchhiker pods on the glass (seachem) phyto and have never had to clean the glass.
i do about a 2 gallon water change a week

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do about a 2 gallon water change a week

That should be fine. I just do around 4g since I mix up a batch of reef crystals and always have it on hand. It's easier for me to drain the bucket and then start new.

If I was buying water from the store pre-made then I would probably do less as well. By the way, I just picked up a 160g pail of reef crystals from petco (in store pick-up) for like $34 bucks. You mentioned that was your local store and it might be cheaper to buy distilled water and mix yourself if you are interested. I have no idea what they charge per gallon.

One thing to keep in mind that the reef crystal 160 gallon pail is not really 160 gallons of reef water. That is 160 gallons at 1.022 or 1.024. I just throw 2 1/4 cups of salt in the 5 gal pail (4g water) and add salt/water as needed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back