Foam mat under tank. What should I use?

Hi all,

Quick question, I’m about to fill my tank and need a foam mat under the tank. What is everyone using?

Thank You!
Ive used and popular is foam insulation
 
Yes no trim
If it is custom built by a company I would suggest contacting them directly and see what they recommend or insist you use. If it isn't then any of the suggestions above (Neoprene, styrofoam or extruded foam) will all work just fine. At that point it comes down to how even and level you feel the surface of your stand is.
 
If it is custom built by a company I would suggest contacting them directly and see what they recommend or insist you use. If it isn't then any of the suggestions above (Neoprene, styrofoam or extruded foam) will all work just fine. At that point it comes down to how even and level you feel the surface of your stand is.
I would do this to . If anything goes wrong then adleast you have filled the manufacturer advice
 
Gotcha,

When I mean custom I physically glued the panes of glass together. I think I'm going to go with the foam board. It seems the easiest. If y'all disagree and thinking another option is better please let me know im fairly new at this.

Thanks,
 
Gotcha,

When I mean custom I physically glued the panes of glass together. I think I'm going to go with the foam board. It seems the easiest. If y'all disagree and thinking another option is better please let me know im fairly new at this.

Thanks,

Always good to double check. I have styrofoam under mine (As directed by my tank builder) and really like it. But it can be a bit of a pain to work with. Go for the Extruded foam, it should work out great :)
 
What did everyone use to glue down the foam pad? I’ll be moving in a 450g display this weekend. I feel like I need to glue the foam board down to ensure it doesn’t move around as we place the tank. I want to use something that isn’t thick to cause protrusions in the pad
 
I used 1/8th shipping PE Foam for my 120G....free from work and works like a charm.....
Did you glue/secure it down with anything? I’m concerned the foam pad/board will shift out of kilter as we place a 450g tank
 
I didnt....I used a piece that overhung the stand on all sides. Placed the tank, and sharp razor to trim right against the tanks glass....
 
I didnt....I used a piece that overhung the stand on all sides. Placed the tank, and sharp razor to trim right against the tanks glass....
Great idea! That’s why I love this forum so much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new