Food for torch corals

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now that I seem to have fallen into the rabbit hole called torch obsession, I'd like to see what others are feeding specifically for their torch corals.
Is there a single go to food?
Or do you combine foods.

I occasionally use Benepets.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ ... daily
AF Vitality (just until it runs out) ... daily
Brightwell phytoplankton/zooplankton (varies) ... daily
Reef Roids and Nyos Instant Plankton ... 2x/week
Nyos LPS Power ... 1x/week (target feeding to torches and hammers)
Extra calanus when I'm feeding the fish ... 2x daily

I usually keep at least the gyres going when feeding so the hammers and torches will also snag whatever frozen morsels or pellets float by their way.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I seem to have fallen into the rabbit hole called torch obsession, I'd like to see what others are feeding specifically for their torch corals.
Is there a single go to food?
Or do you combine foods.

I occasionally use Benepets.

Benepets, Barrier Reef Labs, Reef Chili, Fuel, Polyp Booster, and Mysis. I mix it up..

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I usually keep at least the gyres going when feeding so the hammers and torches will also snag whatever morsels float by their way.

I should have a more consistent schedule. The biggest consistency with my feedings is using the polyp booster. Everything else is just kinda whatever I feel like for the day that I didn't use the time before. I also don't feed coral specific everyday more like every 2 days.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have a more consistent schedule. The biggest consistency with my feedings is using the polyp booster. Everything else is just kinda whatever I feel like for the day that I didn't use the time before. I also don't feed coral specific everyday more like every 2 days.
A lot of the stuff I use needs to stay refrigerated, so it makes it easier when it's all together. I've got an alarm on my phone for my 2x daily fish feedings and just do the corals at the same time in the morning. I just try to remember to add the Reef Roid/Nyos supplements Mondays and Fridays. Feed mode "C" on my Neptune is for regular feedings; "D" is for extended feedings.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benepets, Barrier Reef Labs, Reef Chili, Fuel, Polyp Booster, and Mysis. I mix it up..

Forgot that I also have reef blizzard. I haven't used it yet but I purchased some during the Maine Depot liquidation. The price was so good I had nothing to lose.

I should open a bottle soon and try it out

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I usually keep at least the gyres going when feeding so the hammers and torches will also snag whatever frozen morsels or pellets float by their way.
Do you have progress pictures of your torches? I would love to see how much consistent feeding affected their growth!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Food Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have progress pictures of your torches? I would love to see how much consistent feeding affected their growth!
I do! These are not the most recent and I'm afraid the pictures I took don't really do them justice (took them later in the day when the lights were down). The first is the pair of torches (both Indo) - a black and dragon soul. The second is just the dragon soul. They've both roughly doubled in size since these were taken.

torch-colony 2.jpg

dragon-soul 2.jpg

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! These are not the most recent and I'm afraid the pictures I took don't really do them justice (took them later in the day when the lights were down). The first is the pair of torches (both Indo) - a black and dragon soul. The second is just the dragon soul. They've both roughly doubled in size since these were taken.

torch-colony 2.jpg

dragon-soul 2.jpg
Nice! I’m fairly new to torches, has the growth been mainly tissue or new heads?

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do a water change I make a slurry out of reef roids and use a small plastic syringe to spot feed right on the mouth. I try to hit up all LPS, most have a good feeding response to it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back