For All OCD Reefers that have trouble trusting Conductivity Probes, Refractometers, etc.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're not supposed to get hung up on individual numbers and should be watching trends instead but, my OCD won’t allow me to leave well enough alone. I’m always questioning the results from test kits, probes, refractometers etc. and looking for a definitive answer to parameter results. Even calibration doesn’t completely calm my nerves as I question the accuracy of the calibration.

Well, I have a new favorite parameter, Specific Gravity. This is because I found the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer that, evidently, requires no calibration and is always accurate. I am hoping I am not corrected on this as this has become my safe haven in testing that I can go to and feel confident that I am getting the correct/accurate reading.

I was surprised by the size of hydrometer when I received it and found out it wouldn’t work in my sump, as it was too shallow. I ordered a 500ml Plastic Measuring Graduated Cylinder and that proved to be the ticket. I now just fill the graduated cylinder from my sump and put the hydrometer in it and get an accurate reading every time. I do this quickly to keep the water temp in the graduated cylinder from dropping before the reading. Then I just calibrate my refractometer using the hydrometer reading and I can feel confident in using the refractometer.

20240118_160506.jpg

20240209_091539.jpg

Using a refractometer calibration fluid is probably plenty good enough but, I have found the fluids I have used in the past to not always be accurate. Hopefully this can help my fellow OCD Reefers.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to play devils advocate, how do you know that there aren’t differences between hydrometer and hydrometer? Have you checked?

You’re going down a never-ending rabbit hole trying to get exact numbers…. It’s a fools errand

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one as well- love them! I have been working on board large tanker vessels for years, this is the tool I use on board when determining the stability of the vessel, how much cargo I can load and the ultimate displacement.

If it's good enough for a 150.000 ton tanker, it's good enough for my reef tank! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to play devils advocate, how do you know that there aren’t differences between hydrometer and hydrometer? Have you checked?

You’re going down a never-ending rabbit hole trying to get exact numbers…. It’s a fools errand
I agree with you 100% but it's a rabbit hole I've lived in all my life, lol

Koleswrath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I waste 79.3g of table salt and 2104g of RODI water every few months to ensure my refractometer is still calibrated. Then I question the calibration of my scale......:confused:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, that reminds me- I have an antique version of this. I need to make up some test water to find out where reef salinity is on it, as it uses a different notation than my refractometer.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting this hydrometer but haven’t seen it anywhere. Where did you all get it from?

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the scale affixed to the glass inside the hydrometer? Is it just friction holding in place? The once I used to use when brewing where just rolled paper inside the glass. Don't forget to spin to remove the bubbles.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tropic marin hydrometer is calibrated at a specific temperature and adjustment has to be made it tank temp is different. Looking for exact numbers is a waste of time and more people cause harm by always tweeking. Pick a range and just keep it in the range. Dosing pumps make it easier. Ph 8.0 or higher, alk 8-9 but I don't stress if it gets down to 7.5 or up to 10 as long as it is over time then i just make small adjustments. Salinity I keep between 1.026 and 1.027. Temp stays steady at 78 degrees plus or minus .5 degrees. I seldom even check nitrates and phosphates anymore.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OCD sufferer here as well. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ordered that hydrometer,(to check my digital refractometer- it was fine). After issues with my Inkbird I then began obsessing over what my temp was and ordered a calibrated digital thermometer. What's next? How do I know my PAR meter is giving me accurate results lol!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back