For All OCD Reefers that have trouble trusting Conductivity Probes, Refractometers, etc.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the scale affixed to the glass inside the hydrometer? Is it just friction holding in place? The once I used to use when brewing where just rolled paper inside the glass. Don't forget to spin to remove the bubbles.
I looked on Tropic Marin's site and BRS and couldn't find any reference to how the scale is attached and I can't really tell by looking at it. Darn, now my OCD is kicking in again, LOL.

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on Tropic Marin's site and BRS and couldn't find any reference to how the scale is attached and I can't really tell by looking at it. Darn, now my OCD is kicking in again, LOL.
I’m here to help

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tropic hydrometer is accurate at 77 degrees, which then makes accurate temperature important as well. Otherwise you have to check the chart.

I use it, a conductivity meter from Hach, and a Hanna bench top salinity meter, when they all read very close I can feel comfortable.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tropic hydrometer is accurate at 77 degrees, which then makes accurate temperature important as well. Otherwise you have to check the chart.

I use it, a conductivity meter from Hach, and a Hanna bench top salinity meter, when they all read very close I can feel comfortable.
Temperature doesn't matter that much on our context. 75, 77, 79 - all close enough to not fret about conversion.

The TM hydrometer is repeatable and accurate. Is a great tool to use as a reference calibration for your other day to day tools.

Somebody asked about how the scale is attached? It is paper in the stem and friction holds it in place. Drop it hard enough to move the paper inside the scale... you are cleaning up glass I presume, not worrying of the scale moved.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That instant ocean hydrometer sitting on the shelf next to my booster pump has never let me down in over 20 years… best $6 ever haha!
IMG_1666.jpeg
I don't know man...I took mine out of the drawer and tried it when I set up my latest tank and it was telling some serious fibs man. So glad I got my refractometer. Maybe you got a good one made on wednesday.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man...I took mine out of the drawer and tried it when I set up my latest tank and it was telling some serious fibs man. So glad I got my refractometer. Maybe you got a good one made on wednesday.
Hey…. If it’s off, it’s consistently off so my tank doesn’t mind.. works great!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey…. If it’s off, it’s consistently off so my tank doesn’t mind.. works great!
I was shocked when I opened the drawer and it was still in there...next to some old taco bell hot sauce packets from like 2005.... The last time I used that thing, my dad was still alive, I didnt have the bald spot I rock now and my salinity was obviously wrong.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked when I opened the drawer and it was still in there...next to some old taco bell hot sauce packets from like 2005.... The last time I used that thing, my dad was still alive, I didnt have the bald spot I rock now and my salinity was obviously wrong.
LOL "old taco bell hot sauce packets from like 2005"

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL "old taco bell hot sauce packets from like 2005"
Yeah, you know, the drawer...probably the safest place in the house to put something you'll never find again. We all have one of those. If you want to save some money...just put it in THE DRAWER. It's like a safe deposit box into another dimension. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you know, the drawer...probably the safest place in the house to put something you'll never find again. We all have one of those. If you want to save some money...just put it in THE DRAWER. It's like a safe deposit box into another dimension. :grinning-squinting-face:
I think every house has 1 of those, LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back