For those that 2 part dose/kalk or both

NitrateKillah

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
Messages
223
Reaction score
92
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

For those that 2 part dose and Kalk, how do you control it? how do you know you are not overdosing?

Same with Kalk only, how do you control it if you don't do 2 part? Thanks! just trying to learn along the way.
 
Lets say, my dkh is now at 8.0, my goal is 9. I run kalk only and drip, maybe for 20 mins, and after it hits 9, I stop testing and stop dripping?
 
I had the dosing pump on a timer dosing xx minutes an hour. I know how long the pump needed to run to dose 7 liters and divided that into 24 doses. I used the calculator based on my tanks daily consumption to calculate the total amount needed daily. Calculating the amount of daily alk being consumed is the first step. As mentioned its testing, sometimes daily until it's dialed in then I test weekly and adjust as needed. Many tanks can get by with just water changes. Dosing normally isn't needed until you start keeping hard corals.
 
Lets say, my dkh is now at 8.0, my goal is 9. I run kalk only and drip, maybe for 20 mins, and after it hits 9, I stop testing and stop dripping?

Well, that would be way too fast and should not be done in one day anyway.

If alk is 1 dKH below your target, I’d dose 0.2 dKH of kalk a day for a week and see where you stand.
 
Well, that would be way too fast and should not be done in one day anyway.

If alk is 1 dKH below your target, I’d dose 0.2 dKH of kalk a day for a week and see where you stand.
Silly question, why just 0.2?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new