For those who has AEFW, here's how you treat the whole tank without dipping them individually

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
original link: http://www.ph84.idv.tw/vbb/showthread.php?t=191451
I know it's chinese, but keep scrolling down, you will see the translated version.

KCl (KCL)=potassium chloride
you can get it from homedepot:Home Depot - 40 lb. Potassium Chloride Crystal Cubes customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

first paragraph: (click the link for the completed content)
About 2 months ago my reef tank had an outbreak of flatworms (the one’s that is lethal to SPS). Some of the flatworms are the size of pinky nails, and some as small as rice grains. They have covered on almost all SPS in the tank. Flatworm eggs litters over the base of SPS. Tentacles retracted, colors faded, tissues bloated, and some died eventually. I have tried many chemicals, every time thinking this is the last resort, and finally I found the best solution to this problem, that is Potassium Chloride, killing flatworms by potassium poisoning. KCl is cheaper than any other medication on the market (…….and apologies to all flatworm medication makers………).

Last edited:

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who has AEFW, here's how you treat the whole tank without dipping the

So you've done this with success?

OP
OP
P

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is way too risky of a treatment IMO. Potassium can be very toxic and kill everything in your tank if you arent careful. For a dip maybe, but Bayer has proven itself to me as being so unharsh on the corals. And as I read through the thread it sounds like many folks lost all their shrimp,pods,inverts in the tank, and some lost fish.

I am not knocking it completely, but this seems way too risky of a treatment for me.

OP
OP
P

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, in the post, it was mentioned that potassium kills all critters, so they need to be removed before the treatment

Bayer v.s. Potassium v.s. flatworm exit

bayer: I don't suggest this... cause I lost all my shrimps even after I cleaned the dipped coral twice. the residual chemical is still too strong
pros
cheap
effective, treats all parasites
cons
can't treat the whole tank
it kills your inverts if not clean properly

Potassium: I think it's good for dipping, and maybe for whole tank treatment if you can seperate your corals and the critters
Pros:
Cheap
effective, treats all parasites
treats whole tank
Cons:
kills everything in the tank except the corals

Flatworm Exit:
It's suggested for the whole tank treatment, but dosage need to be increased to make sure all worms are killed.
Pros:
treats whole tank
safer for all other critters in the tank
Cons:
Expensive
not very effective, usually needs 2x dosage to be effective
more effective towards to flat worm

needless to say, whole tank treatments need large amount of water change

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have to remove all fish and inverts, how would you do that without dismantaling the tank? Sounds like it would be easier to just setup a QT to dip the corals than setup a QT for fish and inverts.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like an interesting option for people with large colonies who cannot remove corals for dipping. Obviously you would have to catch all the fish and try to remove as many inverts as possible before treating.

For some people including myself, removing the coral to dip them all would require dismantling the entire tank. If I ever get AEFW, I would have no problem killing some shrimp and snails to save $1000s in encrusted coral colonies. I would like to see more testing on other peoples tanks. :D

OP
OP
P

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have to remove all fish and inverts, how would you do that without dismantaling the tank? Sounds like it would be easier to just setup a QT to dip the corals than setup a QT for fish and inverts.

hehe, same thing, different preference. also, I was referring to the treatment.

comparing QT/Dip and whole tank treatment:

Potassium
1. get all the rocks out, catch all the fishes and the shrimps, then use the Potassium
- This way you don't have to dip the rocks/encrusted corals again. you are treating the entire tank

QT
2. break the corals from the rock, kill the encrusting corals from the LR then move all the frags/colonies without base to the QT tank and dip them
- You lose the encrusting corals... but you don't have to catch the fish

Last edited:

reefloco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
men i want to try this method, i just found out i have aefw this week, im so stresses, my tank is only 65 gallon but its filled with sps and high end zoas

OP
OP
P

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
men i want to try this method, i just found out i have aefw this week, im so stresses, my tank is only 65 gallon but its filled with sps and high end zoas

post the result here if you do man, and good luck.

reefloco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna set up a nanocube 24, put the frags and some of the rocks with encrusting sps, i will dip them in a separate container and put them back in the nanocube, also i will be dipping with bayer insectiside to kill them all, do u think i should dip birdness and montis too?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna set up a nanocube 24, put the frags and some of the rocks with encrusting sps, i will dip them in a separate container and put them back in the nanocube, also i will be dipping with bayer insectiside to kill them all, do u think i should dip birdness and montis too?

So you arent going to try the method that this thread is talking about?

No need to dip montipora and seriotopora(birdsnest)

Anthony35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose I am taking the longer route, it has already pretty much wipe out my sps corals have a couple frags and a few colonies left.

Not to long ago I setup a 20g tank upstairs and have just loaded it up with the DT sps while I will just let the critters starve to death and die off in the DT.

As for the moved corals I am just going to dip them every 7 days and hopefully I will get them all within a months time.

I am not to worried about contamination to the small tank because once the DT is cured and all the critters have been removed from my corals any possible living one would starve for sure when I move everything back.

All I can say is this SUCKS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Anthony35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go from this

To this
Was able to save some hoprfully they will be Ok in a crowded 20g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1360875262991.jpg
    1360875262991.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 700
  • 1360875317610.jpg
    1360875317610.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 687
  • 1360875448818.jpg
    1360875448818.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 757

Anthony35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone wonders what they look like I know its a bad picture but this amount was removed off just two corals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1360875777020.jpg
    1360875777020.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back