OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Neptune has decided to redesign the internals of the rock I first found him in! Can hear him pounding away and digging out little rubble pieces. We of course put that rock as close to the front viewing pane and also the side viewing pane.
20240112_220706.jpg

He's got multiple tunnels where he can be seen popping in and out. He's getting more comfortable with our presence every day. He's now accepting thawed mysis from the coral feeder and today he clubbed the end of the feeder! It was really cool to watch and hear him get excited about eating. I'm fairly certain he killed and partially ate a small hermit crap.

I have some cool video of him in my latest reel on IG. Check it out if you're on there. If you decide to follow, please let me know if you're on R2R. I'd like to follow you too.

I'll eventually get around to making a YT channel so I can share videos here more easily.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again @Stomatopods17 . I was hoping to get some insight about something. My little guy Neptune has been such a cool creature to observe. He has learned to take thawed mysis and even some pellets from the coral feeder! His main rock is up toward the front which is great. He's already made more openings. I believe he molted again earlier this week. I've had a chance to see him leave his shelter and explore a little.

Tomorrow, I will be picking up another hitchhiking mantis from a fellow local reefer that doesn't want it. I do believe it is a N. wennerae. I'm not 100% certain yet but will have a better idea when I see it. I'll get some pics with the hope you can give me a more confident ID when you've got a chance.

Here's my question, if it is indeed a N. wennerae, would it be ok to introduce it to the same tank? I picked up a IM 10gal tank from a buddy, specifically for the new incoming mantis. But if I'm able to keep them together safely, I was thinking of introducing Neptune and his rock to this tank and keep them here.

Thoughts?
1000006918.jpg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never two in the same tank.

Stomatopods in general are highly territorial and will seek out the other to kill it, they get competitive of their cavity spaces. Their telsons are built primarily to shield themselves from other's hits when defending burrow entrances from an intruder.

There's brief moments where a mated pair may coexist but they're usually not forever. Some large spearers will form mated bonds but getting them at the right age and having the correct conditions for them is incredibly unlikely, not to mention females typically are never collected due to being a few feet underground while males are guarding.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never two in the same tank.

Stomatopods in general are highly territorial and will seek out the other to kill it, they get competitive of their cavity spaces. Their telsons are built primarily to shield themselves from other's hits when defending burrow entrances from an intruder.

There's brief moments where a mated pair may coexist but they're usually not forever. Some large spearers will form mated bonds but getting them at the right age and having the correct conditions for them is incredibly unlikely, not to mention females typically are never collected due to being a few feet underground while males are guarding.
Thank you for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. It's settled then. The new one will get its own tank.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has been scurrying around the tank much more. Bunch of snapping and cracking the rocks, building tunnels in multiple rocks. He's much bolder recently which is fun to be able to observe him.

1000007422.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back