Found a Mantis...species ID?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice info. I have a murderbug that’s a little over an inch that came with Gulf Life Rock rock. So far it’s been pretty much a model citizen , although there’s been a few snails that seem to have eaten . I also heavily feed with frozen so maybe that’s helped. I do want to trap it and move into a 22 that I recently rebooted. Cute thing, brick red with dark orange highlights

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice info. I have a murderbug that’s a little over an inch that came with Gulf Life Rock rock. So far it’s been pretty much a model citizen , although there’s been a few snails that seem to have eaten . I also heavily feed with frozen so maybe that’s helped. I do want to trap it and move into a 22 that I recently rebooted. Cute thing, brick red with dark orange highlights
That's awesome! I may eventually try and trap Neptune, his name now. It's going to be hard to convince the family though. We'll see how long the curiosity and excitement lasts trying to find him in what seems like endless amounts of nooks and crannies!

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what species I have, but it’s obviously a Gulf species(duh). I hear clicking as it must be expanding its home. I suppose it might be taking out snails too.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think might be Neopgonodactylus Wennerae as it looks approximately like this
1703654635706.jpeg

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is n. curacaoensis
Nice! I looked it up. They are beautiful. Amazing how similar, yet so different they all are.
I’m getting one in a few weeks and it’s going in my biocube 14 with two tiger gobies I’m also getting from tbs
Awesome! Are you making tunnels for it or just letting it make its own? I was thinking of adding a tunnel to mine that faces the front. Only for the hope that he might pick it for its home. With my luck, I will pick a rock facing the back wall.
I think might be Neopgonodactylus Wennerae as it looks approximately like this
1703654635706.jpeg
Would this be female coloration normally? Or maybe a different locality of the same species?

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I looked it up. They are beautiful. Amazing how similar, yet so different they all are.

Awesome! Are you making tunnels for it or just letting it make its own? I was thinking of adding a tunnel to mine that faces the front. Only for the hope that he might pick it for its home. With my luck, I will pick a rock facing the back wall.

Would this be female coloration normally? Or maybe a different locality of the same species?
Haha, I don’t know enough about them for that . But I do agree they are interesting critters

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

N. wennerae are actually color polymorphic to their environment, they'll change colors to suit their spot when they molt. Meral spots stay constant.

I actually can't tell what that one in the photo is without seeing the front and sides, but by description of the one they own a pink N. Wennerae is one common color when they're found in deeper water. There aren't a lot of species they can do that color morph but N. wennerae fits the description as its the only gulf species that comes to mind with red coloration.

Almost all of them turn dark or light green in captivity after their first molt, they pretty much never stick to one color. I've never been successful in forcing a color, but it could be attributed to elevation even especially with pink/red color morphs which mostly come from deeper water.

Gulf/Keys/Florida you pretty much are only going to find N. wennerae, N. Oerstedii (which I haven't seen in so many years its somewhat concerning), & N. curacaoensis (very obvious species with its blue highlights). Anything else can't really hitchhike, O. Havanensis flat out couldn't survive it and lives like O. scyllarus so unlikely to be boring into rocks, P. ciliata is a spearer that mostly lives under rock and digs in sand, and Squilla Empusa/Rugosa can be found in florida but are much larger and mud/sand dependent, not really something you'd find near rock. Anything else unmentioned is probably something I've never heard of or seen personally in captivity.

Sexual color dimorphism is uncommon with most stomatopods, Gonodactylaceus is one group that males and females have unique and constant colors, males having blue tails, legs, maxilipedes, and antennal scales while females are yellow. There's more subtle ones like with G. chiragra, O. japonicus, etc.

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N. wennerae are actually color polymorphic to their environment, they'll change colors to suit their spot when they molt. Meral spots stay constant.
R2R is lucky to have you! I mean it. The information you've given me, well everyone, is exactly how we get better in this hobby as keepers. Thank you for chiming in and helping me through the process. I still haven't seen him since I got those pics. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Now I want him in a 5 gallon where I can see him every dang day!
Checking it out right now! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re so small that they don’t really need dedicated tunnels like peacocks. I’m going to give him some rocks and rubble and let him go to town lol
Yeah, I'm going the same route. I looked at my rocks and there are so many nooks and crannies everywhere. I just wish I could get him to make his home front and center. Lol

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best chance is just giving it a rock, letting it bore a hole in it, and then rotating/building around for viewing. It'll probably be settled in a few days with the rock you want and not change its mind.

As hadla said they're not a species known for living in tunnels, if there was literally an empty tank with nothing in it but a pvc pipe maybe, but chances are it'll try to bore into the corner of the tank first, they're a cavity species. I seen attempts at making backdrop walls where a PVC tube was glued against (with acrylic shield) the back glass and rock/sand built around it, this gives it an abandoned cavity feel.

R2R is lucky to have you! I mean it. The information you've given me, well everyone, is exactly how we get better in this hobby as keepers. Thank you for chiming in and helping me through the process. I still haven't seen him since I got those pics. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Now I want him in a 5 gallon where I can see him every dang day!

Checking it out right now! Thanks for sharing.

A lot of what I learned is from Roy Caldwell, back when he would frequent on reefcentral. He's the guru of stomatopods so I would study a lot of his post.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best chance is just giving it a rock, letting it bore a hole in it, and then rotating/building around for viewing. It'll probably be settled in a few days with the rock you want and not change its mind.
Appreciate this! Great info and now to just sit and wait for him to make his appearance again. I'm getting closer and closer to convincing the family in letting me setup a tank just for him. Here's the thing...if and when it comes time to transfer him, how in the world will I get him out if I can't visually see him or find him? Do traps work for these guys?

I'm starting to think we just got lucky that he made an appearance at all. I also don't want to stress him out too much and start pulling up all the rockwork. I had to make some adjustments a couple days ago, and I was scared he'd get smashed or trap him somehow. I figured for sure he'd scurry away from the rocks I was moving. Could be he already has a shelter in another structure I didn't even touch?!

I also found another small gorilla crab that is hiding in a small crevice. I hope Neptune is able to find him and eat him soon.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to see Neptune again! Saw a glimpse of him a couple days ago. Inside a tight tunnel in a rock closest to the front and the tunnel was facing the front! Then this morning, I saw him out and about at first light. I tried not to spook him but he moved around to the back of the rock where he appears to have another tunnel. He stayed there the rest of the morning. Decided to feed him some mysis which he gladly took off the end of the feeder tube!!! He took several actually. That rock is facing off to the side but still visible which is awesome. Now we know where he's at. No pics or videos this time unfortunately. I was just so stoked to be able to feed him and know he's ok.

I'm uncertain how often I should attempt to feed him. Thoughts @Stomatopods17 ? Sorry to tag/bug you. I just appreciate your wisdom and you've helped me so much already. If I ever start getting annoying with the tags, please let me know. Lol

They are definitely messy. There is quite a bit of detritus building up around the base of that rock. I can foresee myself doing mini vacuuming sessions to keep that area tidy.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching. Amazingly informative. Now I want a wennerae or a curacaoensis for my 10g!
You can't go wrong with them! Finding Neptune has been such a cool experience. Now trying to keep him happy is even better. Ideally, I would want him in a smaller tank for sure. I'm still working on the rest of the family to let me do that. LOL

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm uncertain how often I should attempt to feed him. Thoughts @Stomatopods17 ? Sorry to tag/bug you. I just appreciate your wisdom and you've helped me so much already. If I ever start getting annoying with the tags, please let me know. Lol

Never bothered by it

3 times a week is sufficient for them.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never bothered by it

3 times a week is sufficient for them.
Much appreciated! Thank you. About to introduce some smaller hermits and an Emerald crab for algae control. Crossing my fingers he leaves the emerald alone since they're much pricier. If not, that's going to be an expensive meal!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back