Found out my Chinese (online) seller sometimes imports ORA fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how frequently he does it, but he told me yesterday that sometimes his shop gets imported ORA fish. Yellow Assessors, McNeill’s Assessors, and C. argi. I’ll be able to get captive bred clowns easily regardless and he has them.

If he’s got ORA stock available, are they worth looking into? I’m willing to pay higher prices if I’ll be getting a hardier specimen and helping conserve coral reefs.

A pity he doesn’t import ORA or Biota Coral Beauties because they sell for very cheap prices when wild caught, he says they’re so common and not worth the time and effort or money buying those captive bred specimens. A real pity.

I could be getting a mixed group of Yellow and McNeill’s Assessors if it’s safe to do so (if so, how many of each should I get?).

As for C. argi, what are your opinions on this Pygmy angelfish? Is it hardy and long lived (can it do 10 years? Has anyone kept one for over 10 years?)

I know this is getting old but I still can’t decide whether one of the pygmies or one of the 4” dwarf angels is better for my tank (3 foot, 36”x24”x24”.)

I’d love your opinions on ORA, and you general opinions on captive bred vs wild caught fish in terms of hardiness and resistance to disease.

I’m also sure that I can find aquacultured corals here.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy directly from ORA and their fish are healthy and in good shape. Packing is awesome.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you buy directly from ORA? I thought they don’t sell directly to hobbyists?

Live Aquaria sells ORA fish that are shipped directly from the ORA facility. I have bought ORA fish and have always had a good experience. I will be ordering more soon - probably in May.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you buy directly from ORA? I thought they don’t sell directly to hobbyists?

I have a quarantined fish business. So they sell to me as a business.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that ORA's catalog isn't accurate, they have a decent bit of livestock that haven't been bred for a number of years still listed (like greenbanded gobies).

Always double check before getting your hopes up.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shipping account only permits me to ship within USA.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back