Found some sweet zoas lobstering today!! cant wait to bring these babys home :)

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, the name game isn't allowable, it's a form of hyping..... Sweet looking zoa's though, are they in your tank yet?

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, the name game isn't allowable, it's a form of hyping..... Sweet looking zoa's though, are they in your tank yet?
Aw man... it's alright! And no not yet, but thankyou! Wouldve been fun but I understand the reasons its not allowed

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious why giving things a name isn't allowed? Not trying to start an argument at all but I mean..the stuff that's named now wasn't named at some point right?

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a frag from a vendor/friend there in florida...he dives too so i wonder if its the same....
it did have a few spot of zoa pox and i have to treat it with furan 2 for weeks because the pox just keeps on appearing/disappearing then reappearing...
now i have a few mini colonies and the good new is i managed to get rid of the pox... they are now pox free and grow very fast always open and is not moody...if u put it in a shaded area the polyps gets huge and the blue gets dark...with high light it gets bright blue but smaller polyps....
theres also some just all blue zoas that i got from him,u can see it on the background top right on the picture.

heres a picture of what i am referring to...i dont know if they are same...i just call them carribean blue zoas or carribean alien eyes..

i also got this one from him so i dont know if he harvest this too...it was in very bad shape when i got it(got it free and was probably stressed from shipping)...no pox but it was not opening for days..all mouth looks to be glued shot and looks like skirts are gone,,,u cannot tell what color it is...i was thinking too much light so i put it in a shaded area,it almost came to the point that it might not make it as it is not really opening and im thinking because its wild and not aquacultured....it was tight shut for weeks but i did not gave up so i treated it with furan 2 as well,,i only dipped it like twice since theres no pox...then the polyps starts showing signs of opening,,,there were scabs in the mouth all the time,,, its like a very thin transparent skin,,its shiny looking and all i did is just rub them off gently everytime i see it on the close mouth....then i thought about maybe it needs flow so i moved it in a spot where it is receiving a lot of flow and thats when they got happy,,have them high up in my tank getting a lot of light and has been happy eversince....i was surprised to what the color came out...its light blue with pink mouth

heres an old picture of it when it started to get happy....it is now more colorful and have grown and encrusted in my back wall..the pink on mouth is bigger now...

i am jealous that u get to see colonies of zoas and be able to harvest them... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious why giving things a name isn't allowed? Not trying to start an argument at all but I mean..the stuff that's named now wasn't named at some point right?
I don't think its necessarily giving them names like if I wanted to I could give them a name but I think it was the fact I wanted to make a game for people to name them and whose ever name I liked most won a frag.

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a frag from a vendor/friend there in florida...he dives too so i wonder if its the same....
it did have a few spot of zoa pox and i have to treat it with furan 2 for weeks because the pox just keeps on appearing/disappearing then reappearing...
now i have a few mini colonies and the good new is i managed to get rid of the pox... they are now pox free and grow very fast always open and is not moody...if u put it in a shaded area the polyps gets huge and the blue gets dark...with high light it gets bright blue but smaller polyps....
theres also some just all blue zoas that i got from him,u can see it on the background top right on the picture.

heres a picture of what i am referring to...i dont know if they are same...i just call them carribean blue zoas or carribean alien eyes..

i also got this one from him so i dont know if he harvest this too...it was in very bad shape when i got it(got it free and was probably stressed from shipping)...no pox but it was not opening for days..all mouth looks to be glued shot and looks like skirts are gone,,,u cannot tell what color it is...i was thinking too much light so i put it in a shaded area,it almost came to the point that it might not make it as it is not really opening and im thinking because its wild and not aquacultured....it was tight shut for weeks but i did not gave up so i treated it with furan 2 as well,,i only dipped it like twice since theres no pox...then the polyps starts showing signs of opening,,,there were scabs in the mouth all the time,,, its like a very thin transparent skin,,its shiny looking and all i did is just rub them off gently everytime i see it on the close mouth....then i thought about maybe it needs flow so i moved it in a spot where it is receiving a lot of flow and thats when they got happy,,have them high up in my tank getting a lot of light and has been happy eversince....i was surprised to what the color came out...its light blue with pink mouth

heres an old picture of it when it started to get happy....it is now more colorful and have grown and encrusted in my back wall..the pink on mouth is bigger now...

i am jealous that u get to see colonies of zoas and be able to harvest them... :)
Those look pretty darn close!! Maybe the same! I'm thinking about just taking back the greeon ones just because I've been talking with secretreefer and he said smaller zoas are prone to getting zoa pox and the green ones are close to dime size so id rather start out with those and if I'm siccessful, come back again and get the other ones. Those pink mouth ones are really cool! I have herd of people getting similar ones to those in florida, I think seavee did. And yeah it's pretty cool to be able to harvest them!

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking vice zoas. I've never had as much luck with this species.
No problem naming vendors, right? I see nice ones from Colin at Morphologic/Aquascapers pretty consistently and sometimes Rare Reef.

Ladyreefer - any specifics on their happy spots? Flow, feeding response?

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up taking just the green ones. They were growing on a plant that I forget the name of so I just pulled the piece off! Easy enough right?? Pictures will come tomorrow night or sunday :) Got a trio of pedersons too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1376701043311.jpg

They look like that. The tails are really nutty. Almost look like sexy anemone shrimo in the center with those white splotches

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking vice zoas. I've never had as much luck with this species.
No problem naming vendors, right? I see nice ones from Colin at Morphologic/Aquascapers pretty consistently and sometimes Rare Reef.

Ladyreefer - any specifics on their happy spots? Flow, feeding response?
hi,i have not tried to feed them....the ones with pink mouth likes flow and light....the blue with yellow green mouth pretty much i can put anywhere,low high light and flow its always open....only problem with it when i got it was pox....was weeks of treatment...i still keep an eye on it...very fast grower...

its always good to have furan 2...

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pretty awesome. I wanna get some for my tank, but I don't particularly have a place for them to live :)
Yeah they're sweet! And yeah haha I have a pretty nice patch of real estate for them. My rose which is taking over my tank...

Attachments

• 1376702204920.jpg
    1376702204920.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 205

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its necessarily giving them names like if I wanted to I could give them a name but I think it was the fact I wanted to make a game for people to name them and whose ever name I liked most won a frag.
ahh gotcha, that would have been fun lol. I actually ned some for a guy on nano-reef and he was cool enough to send me like 5 polyps!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back