FOWLR and Xenia/GSP

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting a 150 gallon FOWLR. I am wanting some movement on the rocks and thought about Xenia and GSP....... Has anyone successfully added these two corals to a fish only tank? I will have two kessil 360 x's (turned down) so lighting should be sufficient. My hope is that if I keep the (angels and triggers) fed, they should leave the coral alone.

Specs for the tank so far

150 gallon Mega Matrix
39" Trigger System Saphire Sump
2 Kessil 360x
Euro Reef INS 180
2-Mp40's
1 Return pump (undecided)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both very invasive, gsp will grow over coral, can be kept nicely if kept in separated area. On a separate rock mound, grow on the back wall, even across the sand bed, just trim away before it touches area you do not wish to grow. Xenia will spread all over the tank, in every empty space, does not need to touch to spread, some like it, some don't.

OP
OP
S

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both very invasive, gsp will grow over coral, can be kept nicely if kept in separated area. On a separate rock mound, grow on the back wall, even across the sand bed, just trim away before it touches area you do not wish to grow. Xenia will spread all over the tank, in every empty space, does not need to touch to spread, some like it, some don't.
Gotcha. Have you ever seen a tank with angels and triggers have either of the these two corals? I keep them out of my current reef due to the invasive nature but would welcome the movement in a (kind of) fish only.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Have you ever seen a tank with angels and triggers have either of the these two corals? I keep them out of my current reef due to the invasive nature but would welcome the movement in a (kind of) fish only.

These are normally not the type of corals angels and triggers would be bothered with, but you can never tell if a trigger just want to be destructive. It's an inexpensive risk,

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got gsp that is squeezing out aptasia. Lol unless aptasia can live under it.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have zenia too just pulled out a couple handfuls a week ago.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep GSP and aussie star polyp in my 55 FowLR. Both are growing pretty good under chinesium black box leds. GSP on back wall, ASP on an old coral skeleton.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, triggers don't really eat coral anyways unless there's a crab or shrimp inside. But neither of these corals are palatable for fish and will definitely be left alone by both types of fish. I think a wall of GSP and Xenia could look really nice in a FOWLR that size, I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is awesome. Peppermint shrimp and coral beauty angels always helped me keep it under control. Clowns will host it too. I never could get it to grow like a dang weed like some people though.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is awesome. Peppermint shrimp and coral beauty angels always helped me keep it under control. Clowns will host it too. I never could get it to grow like a dang weed like some people though.
Mine was slow to grow till I skipped a water change and nitrates went to between 10-20 ppm then they took off.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Niger and Picasso Trigger in a mixed reef with little issue. The trigger don't eat coral but they will move around anything that isn't bolted...glued down. If I put a new frag in the tank and the triggers don't like where it is, they will move it if it's not glued down. Don't have any angels.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed clove polys with fluc accidently in my fowlr and the gsp will not grow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back