FOWLR Experts - What Would You Do With a 65 Gallon Standard Tank?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I haven't had a saltwater tank since 2018, I am currently planning a new reef tank build, but I am also toying with the idea of doing a FOWLR, and I was hoping for some suggestions on how to stock it.

I happen to have in storage a standard 65 gallon rimmed, "reef-ready" tank that I bought new a good 20+ years ago, and it's still in like-new condition. I never actually setup this tank, I used it briefly to hold some live rock back in the day, but largely it has been sitting unused in storage all this time. I also happen to have a "nook" in a newly redone room that was originally intended to hold an old standard definition television, and this 65 gallon tank would fit the "nook" perfectly. The tank measures 36"Lx18"Wx24"D and I believe it's a Marineland brand tank.

I also have plenty of sand and dry base rock, a sump, pumps, skimmer, etc. to get this tank going. The one thing I really don't have already for this tank is lighting, and that's why I thought I could get an inexpensive "black-box" type T5 or LED from eBay or Amazon and go FOWLR instead of a reef tank. I know these tanks can run dirty, and my plan was to use the rock, of course, as biological filtration, and then some socks or floss as mechanical, with a oversized skimmer and a large fuge to hopefully pull out nitrates. I think, since I'm not keeping coral, near zero nitrates would be idea, right?

What would you guys do with this tank that's reasonably different and interesting? I at first saw this as an opportunity to keep some cool fishes that are typically not reef safe, but at 65 gallons this isn't really a tank that I can keep big Angels, Tangs, Triggers, Puffers, etc. in. I am interested in lionfish, and thought maybe a dwarf or Fu Man Chu or two, but I was recently reminded that the Fu Man Chu can be reef safe, so I don't necessarily need a whole separate FOWLR just for a Fu Man Chu.

I love Seahorses, but we we do go out of town a few times a year for 3-7 days at a time, and I just don't think Seahorses do well without constant attention.

I have for years be interested in Octopuses, and I know that they are short lived, sensitive to changes in water parameters, and expert escape artists, but if I could get a small one I would LOVE to do an octopus tank.

What other ideas would you guys have for a 65 gallon non-reef tank? Honestly, I think for me to go through the trouble and expense to set this up as a saltwater tank, it would have to be more interesting that some Damsel fish and a Chocolate Chip Star. If I can't come up with a really great theme for this tank, I will likely just make it a freshwater tank - GASP!!!

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm setting up a 75 gallon at the moment with gulf live rock, mostly because my "little" puffers are outgrowing their tank already, but if i had a blank canvas i think it would be really cool to put dwarf cuttlefish in there, they live around 2 years, super interesting to watch, and they only get about 5 inches long, pretty sure you can have multiple too.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae and a variety of small carnivore fish? Macro algae do not need as much care as coral and you can go on vacation for several days. Any herbivores would decimate the algae quickly.
Invert specialized tank,shrimps, crabs, seastars....
small predator tank

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Arrowhead Basslet, like a tiny Barracuda. I've had bad luck with mine. Last one got sucked into a MP40 first one got murdered by a Grouper.

Very interesting fish that just hovers around always watching slowly follows around the tank.

Not sure what I'd get to go with it but this is what I'd start with. I've never been a fan of Lionfish.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Arrowhead Basslet, like a tiny Barracuda. I've had bad luck with mine. Last one got sucked into a MP40 first one got murdered by a Grouper.

Very interesting fish that just hovers around always watching slowly follows around the tank.

Not sure what I'd get to go with it but this is what I'd start with. I've never been a fan of Lionfish.
Great idea, but I don't think my wife will go for a $500 fish lol!

Macro algae and a variety of small carnivore fish? Macro algae do not need as much care as coral and you can go on vacation for several days. Any herbivores would decimate the algae quickly.
Invert specialized tank,shrimps, crabs, seastars....
small predator tank
I think whatever I do should involve some macro algae. I would tend to stay away from herbivores for this build.

i'm setting up a 75 gallon at the moment with gulf live rock, mostly because my "little" puffers are outgrowing their tank already, but if i had a blank canvas i think it would be really cool to put dwarf cuttlefish in there, they live around 2 years, super interesting to watch, and they only get about 5 inches long, pretty sure you can have multiple too.
This is definitely an idea. I have always wanted an Octopus, but I have considered Cuttlefish in the past as well. Do you have any idea where to get a cuttle fish?

Thanks again everyone!

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Great idea, but I don't think my wife will go for a $500 fish lol!

I think whatever I do should involve some macro algae. I would tend to stay away from herbivores for this build.

This is definitely an idea. I have always wanted an Octopus, but I have considered Cuttlefish in the past as well. Do you have any idea where to get a cuttle fish?

Thanks again everyone!
occasionally bluezoo aquatics has the eggs on their site, its better to hatch them rather than get an adult, they don't ship well.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
occasionally bluezoo aquatics has the eggs on their site, its better to hatch them rather than get an adult, they don't ship well.
Wow, thanks! I had no idea that cuttle fish eggs were even a thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back