foxface keeps dying

Klondike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to keep my foxface alive, they last 4-5 months in my tank and die. I have other community tank fish, the regular chromes, cardinals, blue green chromes, tang as well as mixed corals. They seem to do fine, all tank parameters are in range (gravity 1024, Ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nittrate .2 . The only thing I do that I can think of that is killing them is that I have a raised rock bed which I turkey blast under it once a week as a cleaning routine. This is a 120 gal tank and I only do this to half the tank at a time. It does cloud the water for a time. Are foxface more susceptible to illness by doing this?

JCLBUDDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Im new to the Forum and just started over with a 72 Bowfront, but ive had a tank since 06. Ive had good luck with the One Spot Foxface. I think their classified as a type of Rabbitfish? But the yellow/black One Spot are common. I think they're one one the hardier fish in the community Marine aquarium? How many have you lost?

OP
OP
K

Klondike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Im new to the Forum and just started over with a 72 Bowfront, but ive had a tank since 06. Ive had good luck with the One Spot Foxface. I think their classified as a type of Rabbitfish? But the yellow/black One Spot are common. I think they're one one the hardier fish in the community Marine aquarium? How many have you lost?
2 of them in less than a year

maharba-wrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem.. idk why my foxface keeps dying, every single one of my other fish are healthy so are my corals.. and my perimeters are text book good... tank is a solid year old now, well established

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got any algae in the tank like hair algae?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have a few rocks with moderate gha.. also feed nori..
Not sure if it applies to your case, but one thing I see with foxface is that they are fed diets too low in protein and fats. They really need to be fed a main diet of a good pelleted food, then supplemented with air dried, not roasted nori. Periodic feedings of frozen mysids or gel diet should also be done.
Jay

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this would apply to you but do you dose any supplements that are high in iron? I was dosing iron to help with cheato growth and I started loosing all of herbivores as the iron was getting absorbed into the GHA and poisoning the fish

maharba-wrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if it applies to your case, but one thing I see with foxface is that they are fed diets too low in protein and fats. They really need to be fed a main diet of a good pelleted food, then supplemented with air dried, not roasted nori. Periodic feedings of frozen mysids or gel diet should also be done.
Jay

maharba-wrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind next time I decide to get a foxface in the future.. appreciate the info everyone!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back