Foxface with New Blotches?

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new Foxface and have had him in my display for about two weeks and I started to notice some white blotches on him and a bulge in his stomach area. How worried should I be? What is it? Is it just him gaining weight and losing coloration? Included are pics of him the 3 days after I put him in the tank and the second picture I took just now, two weeks after the first picture.

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my profile pic is a better quality picture of him the first few days

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new Foxface and have had him in my display for about two weeks and I started to notice some white blotches on him and a bulge in his stomach area. How worried should I be? What is it? Is it just him gaining weight and losing coloration? Included are pics of him the 3 days after I put him in the tank and the second picture I took just now, two weeks after the first picture.

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG
Have you been feeding him enough nori/seaweed? When I turn on the lights at first my foxface is faded, he gains color as the lights brighten up though. They camo at night and that's normal. As far as the bulging, idk... mine is just well fed and is thick all the way through. If he was skinny when you got him, he could maybe just be beginning to fill out? @reefsquad any suggestions?

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been feeding him enough nori/seaweed? When I turn on the lights at first my foxface is faded, he gains color as the lights brighten up though. They camo at night and that's normal. As far as the bulging, idk... mine is just well fed and is thick all the way through. If he was skinny when you got him, he could maybe just be beginning to fill out? @reefsquad any suggestions?
Yeah he gets a nice chunk of nori with garlic about everyday, you can see about how much in my profile picture, and some brine shrimp or pellets when I feed the other fish in the tank. He used to be a huge chicken and just camo every time I came into the room, or moved too fast. He was pretty skinny when I got him

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? would you say the pic 2 is how he looks like non stop or just sometimes?

They do change color, usually when stressed but sometimes for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? would you say the pic 2 is how he looks like non stop or just sometimes?

They do change color, usually when stressed but sometimes for no apparent reason.
Yeah I have seen him change almost completely brown, but these white blotches seem to stay with him no matter if he goes camo or not. I thought nothing of it for a few days, but now I'm getting worried. Especially once I noticed how bloated he was getting

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he gets a nice chunk of nori with garlic about everyday, you can see about how much in my profile picture, and some brine shrimp or pellets when I feed the other fish in the tank. He used to be a huge chicken and just camo every time I came into the room, or moved too fast. He was pretty skinny when I got him
I also feed mine the seachem nutridiet red flakes as well as the full spectrum pellets. These fish have such great personalities! I'm in MN and at MOA, they have a tank full of foxfaces and a full grown porcupine puffer! Anyways... I'd monitor but don't know I'd worry yet... Any tang or other fish picking on Fox?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have seen him change almost completely brown, but these white blotches seem to stay with him no matter if he goes camo or not. I thought nothing of it for a few days, but now I'm getting worried. Especially once I noticed how bloated he was getting

Does he eat ok? Any bullying? Params all good? (your tank looks new) Any rapid breathing, scratching or anything unusual? 2 weeks isn't too long so it still could be stress related.
You should give him a sheet of nori every day as there doesn't seem to be algae in your tank for grazing and see if things get better. Add in selcon if you have and perhaps get a good frozen herbivore mix.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed mine the seachem nutridiet red flakes as well as the full spectrum pellets. These fish have such great personalities! I'm in MN and at MOA, they have a tank full of foxfaces and a full grown porcupine puffer! Anyways... I'd monitor but don't know I'd worry yet... Any tang or other fish picking on Fox?
Nope, he is the biggest fish in the tank right now

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he eat ok? Any bullying? Params all good? (your tank looks new) Any rapid breathing, scratching or anything unusual? 2 weeks isn't too long so it still could be stress related.
You should give him a sheet of nori every day as there doesn't seem to be algae in your tank for grazing and see if things get better. Add in selcon if you have and perhaps get a good frozen herbivore mix.
The tank is new, amonia is 0, Nitirite 0, Nitrate 0, low phosphate. He eats fine, is breathing fine, and no scratching. I hope its just stress, but he is a lot more active around the tank. He explores and swims all over. What is selcon? He loves nori he goes through a ton of it

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright... mine is the biggest as well but my yellow tang will occasionally pick on him... he then deals with it by putting his spikes up.

Yeah, but all I have in the tank other than him is two clowns and a chromis lol.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I'd just keep an eye on him. Seaweed soaked in garlic is good for their immune system. I'm sure he'll be fine

Ok, I just worry about him <3

I also wanted to add a yellow eyed bristle-tooth tang soon, so I want to make sure Fox is ok.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is new, amonia is 0, Nitirite 0, Nitrate 0, low phosphate. He eats fine, is breathing fine, and no scratching. I hope its just stress, but he is a lot more active around the tank. He explores and swims all over. What is selcon? He loves nori he goes through a ton of it

Selcon is a vitamin supplement, somewvidenxe it helps. Nori should be good enough alone with a high quality food. Definitely wait until he’s stable before you add any more fish.

Also, you may encounter problems with the tang. Both species may be aggressive towards similar looking fish. Add to that that they Share the same food source and you could have fights. Perhaps consider a different color tang, e.g. kole tang.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back