Frag Rack and Frag plugs

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I apologize if this seems like a dumb question. I’m getting ready to get our first Zoas which I assume will be on a frag plug.

I have a small frag rack with 1/2” holes. I will place them in there until they tell me where they like the lighting and I can then permanently glue them to their new home.

That said: Is the fit usually a wedge type fit or do I have to glue them to the frag rack? I want to be prepared and not have any surprises. This is assuming the plug that they come on will be 1/2” as well. Thanks!

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
most frag plugs stems are the same size and the frag racks are pretty universal.

Do not glue them to the rack. If they fit loosely, I wrap a rubber band around the stem to make it thicker and it doesnt wobble that way.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most frag plugs have 3/8" posts, so they should slip into your frag rack pretty easily. Its not a wedge fit.
Some frag racks have "locking" holes, but most don't.

I use a 3/8" masonry bit to drill holes into rocks, frag discs, etc... and then a frag plug will fit in pretty tightly, without using any glue or anything.

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you receive a disc (without stem), and you still want to place them in the rack, you can put frag plugs around them, so the disc does not fall, I do that some times.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most frag plugs have 3/8" posts, so they should slip into your frag rack pretty easily. Its not a wedge fit.
Some frag racks have "locking" holes, but most don't.

I use a 3/8" masonry bit to drill holes into rocks, frag discs, etc... and then a frag plug will fit in pretty tightly, without using any glue or anything.
If the plug goes into the rack easily, they just stay right in?

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you receive a disc (without stem), and you still want to place them in the rack, you can put frag plugs around them, so the disc does not fall, I do that some times.
I bought a set of 3, single hole racks/rocks from Aqua Rock. I guess I could just cut the stem off a plug and glue to the disc? Which means I will have to find good set of cutters to go through ceramic. Seems most plugs are ceramic.

robangela2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to jack the subject, I have a 45 gal tank and want to start fragging. I want a magmatic rack but all say for 1/2” glass and my tank is on 3/8”.
any suggestions?

Back