frag rack maybe not the best idea and a newer tank?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm wondering, I don't know, these frag racks looks so cool to me anyway. I wanted to get one the first time I saw it on YouTube. But now I'm thinking since I don't have a fully mature tank maybe my new frags, the leather and SPS frag might be better off in the sand or on a rock where they will directly be nutrified.
any thoughts?

IMG_5876.jpeg

Last edited:

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think age of the tank had anything to do with it. easier to monitor a new coral and help adjust the coral to your lighting with a magnetic frag rack I think. they pull the nutrients from the water column so being or rock or sand or frag rack isn't different really.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't think age of the tank had anything to do with it. easier to monitor a new coral and help adjust the coral to your lighting with a magnetic frag rack I think. they pull the nutrients from the water column so being or rock or sand or frag rack isn't different really.
Second this.
Frag racks can be very beneficial in starting off low in the tank and slowly raising it to get it acclimated to the tanks lighting intensity.
Nutrients are collected from the water column and not from what the coral is sitting on :)

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just that it seems since I put my toad stool on a frag rack It's not sprouting.

also, not sure what to do about my Xenia. It's really not doing well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 9

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just that it seems since I put my toad stool on a frag rack It's not sprouting.

also, not sure what to do about my Xenia. It's really not doing well.
Couple things -
Age of tank
Parameters
Lighting
Flow

Leathers like a good amount of flow and can take a fair amount of par. Surprised with the Xenia, but then again I can grow Gonis but manage to kill Xenia. Get the sps higher up on a rock or better yet a frag rack with good strong flow and higher par values, esp. if it’s an Acro.

Back