Frag System Struggles.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been cycling a frag system in my house for about 3 months now. I added my bacteria and everything. Used some established live rock from my tank and some dry rock I got as well.
It’s 2 low boy frag tanks plumbed together and going in to a 75 gallon sump.

I went through my ugly stages during my cycling period and tested regularly to make sure my cycle was going as expected. Which it did. Here I am 3 months later and I can’t put any of my zoas in that system without them shriveling up and dying. They shrivel up but don’t completely melt away. They are in the tank for about 30 mins before they close up and never open again. I have gotten some film like algae but that’s it. Easily removable from the glass and wave makers.

I did notice the other day my heater which had a plastic guard on it appeared to have broken/melted. Had that dried up calcified salt creep around it. Which was weird because it was never not submerged. I’m not picking anything up with my water testing that screams at me that something is horribly wrong with my water. And I do use RODI water and filters were changed recently.

Temp- 78.5
Nitrate-5ppm
Ammonia-0
Phosphate-.08
Alk-8.5 DKH
Calcium-400
Magnesium-1400
I even did a copper test which didn’t pick any up.

I’m thinking of doing an ICP test to hopefully find something. Ive never done a frag tank before so I am trying to wrap my brain around it as I have no issues with my other reef system. Ideally I’m wanting to move my nuvo 30 from my living room to one of the lowboys since we are potentially doing some remodeling, but can’t keep anything alive in that system.

Any input would be great!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type/# of lighting, distance above tank?, % intensity. Zoas don't need a light of light and a frag tank is typically a lot lower in height than your standard tank.

OP
OP
KSReefing

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have Kessil A360WEs that are about 18 inches off the water at 60%ish so could take them down a bit. I actually tried spreading the frags out and putting some on a frag rack on the glass and some on the egg crate in the middle to see if that was messing with them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back