Frag Tank Build -- First timer trying to grow out and propagate

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to decide if this belongs in the build thread or the propagation thread.

I am transitioning my 7.1g 12" Cube into a grow out and propagation tank. My seahorses in my main display tank keep hanging on my frag rack of zoas and the zoas haven't opened in a while because of it. Also, I have to keep my display at 74degrees and my zoas are not a fan of that either. So I am making a tank just for them so I can propagate and one day maybe sell some to my fellow reefers. My goal is to get some unique and unusual strains. Not necessarily expensive ones just ones you don't see often. And if no one ends up buying my frags, I end up with a zoa tank. Whoops I would hate that...(sarcasm).

As I decide on something, I will post it here just like a normal build thread. I'm sure I will have many questions on Propagation. packing, and shipping once I build the tank so I decided this thread is better suited here. If this thread and the tank works I might also post some eye candy :)

OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Update:
So I'm getting antsy just waiting for my salinity to rise over time so I can acclimate my two horned nerite snails that will be my CUC. I took out all the decor from the tank. I am going to wash and soak in fresh water and add it all to my freshwater tank. I have started taking out the sand bed but I am going to do a little every day for about a week. I made some DIY frag racks and I bought some awesome frag plugs. I searched for hours to find the ones I've liked the best when receiving frags from venders. I am going to use the bio media from my 20g top fin filter, my aquaneat 12" light, some live rock rubble from my 65g, and a circulation pump I have from my very first ten gallon I used as my filter. I'll post pictures once the tank is set up next week.

OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the build.
8E08A7E0-45E5-46FB-A633-3B73B2CE5530.jpeg

You can see my DIY gravity fed ATO unit to the left.
It’s an aquamaxx 12” cube with a heater set on 78 and a pico size filter I am using as a circulation pump without the filter sponge. I made the frag racks myself. It holds 25 frags. I used the bio material from the brackish filter in the back with some extra rubble from my 65g. I will be seeding the tank from my 65g fuge once the SG reaches 1.022. It’s at 1.013 right now. There are two horned nerite snails as a cleanup crew.

OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoiler Alert: I'll be putting in 4 frags later tonight. Pics might come tomorrow or Friday when I get my upgraded T5 15K light.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the build.
8E08A7E0-45E5-46FB-A633-3B73B2CE5530.jpeg

You can see my DIY gravity fed ATO unit to the left.
It’s an aquamaxx 12” cube with a heater set on 78 and a pico size filter I am using as a circulation pump without the filter sponge. I made the frag racks myself. It holds 25 frags. I used the bio material from the brackish filter in the back with some extra rubble from my 65g. I will be seeding the tank from my 65g fuge once the SG reaches 1.022. It’s at 1.013 right now. There are two horned nerite snails as a cleanup crew.
You're storing your ATO water in metal? I would re think that if so...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol when I saw the name of this thread I assumed you were starting a large growout, not a cube

OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol when I saw the name of this thread I assumed you were starting a large growout, not a cube
Trust me, based on my personality, if the cube is successful I will upgrade for sure!

OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 4 frags from my main display to start this project. Two types of toxic green wowser paly's, I think a blue zoa and one that I forgot the name/color. The toxic palys are loving the frag tank. They all open every day and you can see hints of green coming back. The ones that might be blue also open up often but their color is still not showing. The last frag might have melted but Saving 75% of frags I thought were goners to begin with is a great start IMO. I'll post pictures ones colors show.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a trend on reefers growing frags lately (Maybe is an old trend, who knows) but is great you are attempting to do it, we all should be at least familiar with the process (At the very best, we all need to trim our corals at some point no?).

Remembered this one on a fellow thread:

Frag Tank.jpeg

I wish you the best of luck :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquaman99

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two types of toxic green paly's or Zoa's I plan to frag today and put on some purple rubble. They should be for sale around Halloween. Any advice is welcome. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back