Frag Tank Build

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've water tested it, did some plumbing work and am planning to fill it sometime this week. Haven't tested the heater yet been busy with "winter duties" around the house. Will keep you posted when I do.
Plumbing work on this small of a tank?!
I decided I was too lazy to return my heater shortly after I message you and just hooked it up to my APEX so it can do the work on controlling it...
Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing work on this small of a tank?!
I decided I was too lazy to return my heater shortly after I message you and just hooked it up to my APEX so it can do the work on controlling it...
Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

Plumbing work = small pump and sanitary tubing to return nozzle.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I posted my pics on your thread @BarSnackz - but filled it today and as promised pics.

IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7219.JPG

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a par reading from my MagnaFuge light & as I suspected it's "ok for softies but for the future (LPS & SPS) I'm going to have to upgrade - preferably to a Kessil A80 or something similar. I'm partial to Kessil so..

Btw - par was 120 at the surface & 55 at bottom of the tank.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! Is there any way that you could send me some links for those plumbing parts?! Those looks super clean! What is the piece on the return? Some kind of return that produces like sheets of water instead of a concentrated flow? I like what you did with the overflow and all the filter media. Going to try to figure mine out here soon when I get the energy to cut and wrap up some more egg crate... eh

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could send you links to plumbing parts lol, it's old parts & pieces I've had laying around. The bulkhead fitting I believe is off an old skimmer, the tubing in main chamber is a sprayer bar from an old HOB filter. Filter media is a filter sock (bottom), small bag of carbon & some filter sponge.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I'm working on my ATO for this "lil guy". I'm using a Toms' aqualifter pump connected to a timer (Amazon - one that will do down to one minute at a time - still waiting on timer) But found these on BRS - they're 3D printed tubing holders for RO tubing. They work great for vinyl tubing also. (excuse the old hose - new hose enroute)

IMG_7220.JPG IMG_7221.JPG

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Kessil 160 & controller from fellow reefer here on R@R @ccejka for the "lil guy" - mounted & programmed. I'm super happy with it and many thanks to all those who helped make this come alive.

IMG_7225.JPG IMG_7223.JPG IMG_7222.JPG

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it arrived quickly for you! Be looking forward to see what frags you grown out in that bad boy!
Now it's the "patience part", let it cycle (even though 75% of water is from established tank) I'm going to let it cycle. I threw in a few GSP & Kenya tree frags for aesthetics (lord knows I have enough to go around) but plan on loading with SPS from local reefer in a couple of weeks. I have to keep reminding myself - "time is my friend"

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to start a frag system but for some reason i can't pull the trigger. I seem to be stuck on if I should go aio or try and plumb it into my display. The frag system is supposed to be something that produces a return on the cheap but i sometimes accidentally go high end. Would a couple kessil a80s be adequate for lps and softies on a tank that size?

Sorry for the late reply but a single A80 would be more than enough. I got lucky and found a Kessil 160 here on R2R but was originally looking for an A80. Being only 6" deep you could keep SPS as long as you have enough flow.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it's the "patience part", let it cycle (even though 75% of water is from established tank) I'm going to let it cycle. I threw in a few GSP & Kenya tree frags for aesthetics (lord knows I have enough to go around) but plan on loading with SPS from local reefer in a couple of weeks. I have to keep reminding myself - "time is my friend"

Yeah that is the hardest part I doing a dual 40B build right now and I am going to hate waiting for the cycle I just added some rock to a 250 gallon system to help seed the new tank

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten exactly no where. like did start some serious actual planning though. ASked for help for cord management in the small space ive got to work with

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is the hardest part I doing a dual 40B build right now and I am going to hate waiting for the cycle I just added some rock to a 250 gallon system to help seed the new tank

After moving two tanks earlier last year I learned - let them cycle. At the moment it seems tedious but it pays dividends in the long run.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well against my better judgement (and since I had GSP & Kenya Trees to spare) I fragged a couple and placed them in frag tank. They sure liked the light (Kessil 160we)

IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7231.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back