Frag tank filtration?

Catchemall

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2015
Messages
808
Reaction score
527
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it is absolutely neccasary to have a skimmer in a frag tank or can I run a lot of chaeto and call it a day. How will this work out with normal weekly 10% water changes and misty easy sps and Lps. I thought I would start it this way then get a skimmer later on. The tanks is going to be a 40 breeder drilled with a eshopps large overflow 20 gallon long dedicated to mostly algae. I also have a turf scrubber I could run if needed to. Which would be better chaeto or just go turf scrubber?
 
The chaeto will be fine for the nutrient but that will not remove the proteins which is what the protein Skimmer does.
 
The chaeto will be fine for the nutrient but that will not remove the proteins which is what the protein Skimmer does.

Help me understand the proteins. I understand I’ll more than likely fight a film on top of the water is that the proteins?
 
Plenty of people run systems with no skimmer. I've been running a coral and invert QT for over a year with no skimmer. LPS, zoas, some easy SPS, pocillopora, montipora etc. No issues with a film because I have plenty of flow.

A skimmer removes dissolved organics. So with no skimmer your main removal method would be WC's I believe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new