Frag tank lighting help

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m setting up a 36” long frag tank and am looking to use the viparspectra 165w, because that’s what’s ran on my display tank and seems to be growing the corals well. The stated lighting dimensions is 24x24 at 8”, but I’m wondering if I raise the lights to 18 inches above the tank, will I be able to cover the full 36” with one light? If not, does anyone know where to get the 300w version? Thanks :)

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m setting up a 36” long frag tank and am looking to use the viparspectra 165w, because that’s what’s ran on my display tank and seems to be growing the corals well. The stated lighting dimensions is 24x24 at 8”, but I’m wondering if I raise the lights to 18 inches above the tank, will I be able to cover the full 36” with one light? If not, does anyone know where to get the 300w version? Thanks :)
Depends on what you're trying to grow in your frag tank and the height of said frag tank. If you have access to a PAR meter that might help answer the question. You could potentially also consider using the periphery for really low light coral frags and the center for everything else.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're trying to grow in your frag tank and the height of said frag tank. If you have access to a PAR meter that might help answer the question. You could potentially also consider using the periphery for really low light coral frags and the center for everything else.
Mainly softies and lps so I’m not too worried about par being too low. I’m more worried about not getting light in area of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back