Mh, T5, or LEDs for LPs frag tank?

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 28 gallon lowboy frag tank right now and am trying to decide which lights I should use. I’m using viparspectra 165 watts on my DT and seem to be getting decent growth out of them, but am not sure if a mixture of metal halides and t5’s or just the viparspectra will create the best growth for my frags. Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

Also looking at this light as an option

IMG_8662.png

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What are you planning to grow?

I've never heard of a 28g lowboy, what are the dimensions?

Fwiw, I've recently set up a pair of 50g lowboy frag tanks and the one that will hold my parent colonies will be lit with an 8 bulb T5 fixture. The one that will hold all of the frags is a combo of a 4 bulb T5 fixture and LED. These tanks will be mostly, if not all, SPS.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning to grow?

I've never heard of a 28g lowboy, what are the dimensions?

Fwiw, I've recently set up a pair of 50g lowboy frag tanks and the one that will hold my parent colonies will be lit with an 8 bulb T5 fixture. The one that will hold all of the frags is a combo of a 4 bulb T5 fixture and LED. These tanks will be mostly, if not all, SPS.
I’m planning on growing zoas, mushrooms, nems, hammers, acans, and other lps and softies.

The 28 gallon lowboy is 36x18x10”.

Do you think that t5’s and halides will be a bit much for the lps?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Do you think that t5’s and halides will be a bit much for the lps?

Yeah, probably so. At a depth of only 10" you really don't need a ton of light, especially for softies and LPS.

If I were to set up the same thing, I would go with inexpensive LED. They pretty much all will grow softies and LPS just fine and being able to crank them up/down is beneficial.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably so. At a depth of only 10" you really don't need a ton of light, especially for softies and LPS.

If I were to set up the same thing, I would go with inexpensive LED. They pretty much all will grow softies and LPS just fine and being able to crank them up/down is beneficial.
That’s what I was thinking, personally. I didn’t like that I can’t really control the t5’s and mh’s. Thank you for the help. I will probably just go with the viparspectras again.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That’s what I was thinking, personally. I didn’t like that I can’t really control the t5’s and mh’s. Thank you for the help. I will probably just go with the viparspectras again.

No problem. Just to clarify, I'm a huge fan of T5 and MH. I simply think that LED would be a better option for your application.

I've used viparspectras in the past. They're solid lights but I think you could do just as well with less. You don't really need all that power.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly any will work. I’m also a fan of halide. It’s what I currently run on my main tank. With MH you may just need to hand it higher (given the depth of the tank). I used to have a 150w halide over a 5.5 gallon frag tank. But I had it 2 feet from the water. Generally corals take a bit to adapt to different lighting. If they’re used to LED, I’d stick with LED.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used that fixture and it works great with a caveat. You need to hang it or have a chiller on the tank. With the MH on, it absolutely cooks sitting ~4” over the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back