Frag tank lighting t5 or LED

Royal Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently struggling to decide between t5 and led for my frag tank build. Realistically what kind of life can I expect to get out of say a radion xr30? Tank is a pentair 2'x8'x12"... While I know there's a cost for power and bulb replacement but would that argument be obsolete if
1) You're using the equivalent size led compared to t5
2) If you're having to upgrade to newer LEDs

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was going to have sps, I would go t5. I have leds over my frag tank but I have no sps. It works well but if I had to redo it, I would go t5. The fixture is what's most expensive, the bulbs themselves that need replacing are cheap.

OP
OP
R

Royal Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just hard to decide between the two.. Both get the job done and it seems to be the rest of the industry is transitioning and it's hard to ignore.. I'll wait for more input

wilecyote007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was going to have sps, I would go t5. I have leds over my frag tank but I have no sps. It works well but if I had to redo it, I would go t5. The fixture is what's most expensive, the bulbs themselves that need replacing are cheap.
Could i use any fixture or does it need to be a special balast? Just read this conversation and want to do t5s. I have a fixture 4ft with t8s right now just sitting around. Want to use it if possible.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could i use any fixture or does it need to be a special balast? Just read this conversation and want to do t5s. I have a fixture 4ft with t8s right now just sitting around. Want to use it if possible.
That I'm not sure of-I've never had t5s. I only have led.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they usually say for your frag tank you should hang the same type of lighting that you use over you DT.

With that said I have LED/T5 over my DT and just T5 over my frag tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back