Frag tank media

Yooper Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2016
Messages
149
Reaction score
102
Location
The UP
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be starting a water box infinia 175 frag tank for SPS. I have two marine pure 8x8x4 blocks and an about 10 2x2x1 nano sphere ceramic blocks. I also found nano sphere frag tiles. How much media would be recommend for the tank? I’ve never done a frag tank or bare bottom tank before
 
when u buy media, the box/package will tell you how much to use
chemipure blue, carbon, blah
 
when u buy media, the box/package will tell you how much to use
chemipure blue, carbon, blah
I’m referring to surface for bacteria to grow instead of live rock. I know they do state it on the marine pure but it doesn’t seem like 1 block could replace all the sand and display rock there normally would be
 
I’m referring to surface for bacteria to grow instead of live rock. I know they do state it on the marine pure but it doesn’t seem like 1 block could replace all the sand and display rock there normally would be
I think putting sand in would be good at first, then over time, u remove the sand slowly
 
I’m going to be starting a water box infinia 175 frag tank for SPS. I have two marine pure 8x8x4 blocks and an about 10 2x2x1 nano sphere ceramic blocks. I also found nano sphere frag tiles. How much media would be recommend for the tank? I’ve never done a frag tank or bare bottom tank before
I had a marine pure 8x8x4 and a couple pieces of live rock in the sump of my bare bottom 2 foot x 6 foot x8 inch frag tank and it was plenty.
 
I had a marine pure 8x8x4 and a couple pieces of live rock in the sump of my bare bottom 2 foot x 6 foot x8 inch frag tank and it was plenty.
What live stock do you have and were there any issues that you can across with that set up?
 
What live stock do you have and were there any issues that you can across with that set up?
I had a couple small tangs, a melanaurus wrasse, and half a dozen Springeri damsels, and a decent snail/hermit cleanup crew. Biologically the tank ran spot on.

Tangs now live in my 210.

Biggest problem I ran into was keeping the Alk stable. With that many SPS and LPS growing any slowdown of the effluent from the calcium reactor would cause an Alk drop. Had to monitor that closely.

Lighting was 4 x Radion XR15 gen 4 and 2 x 5 foot ATI T5 blue plus. Had a lot of acro frags that grew nicely. Took it down to make room to use as a spare bedroom.




0E4A6011-52CD-4A37-9017-9CD1A88201B1.jpeg
3A905715-CF82-406E-A7F0-C2B8771AA925.jpeg
0E0E6168-FA7A-48C7-B139-8E501E48DFB8.jpeg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new