Frag tank question.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy who keeps leathers, torches, hammers, zoas, and some acros, I have a question about frag tanks.
Disclaimer-this is all in fun,
The one constant that is mentioned is that “it’s not ready for my DT yet.” My question is will it ever be or is your frag tank a nice excuse for continuing to collect cool frags with not much intention on putting them in the DT.
I ask this because I’ve not heard of anyone keeping a softy frag tank, haha.

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy who keeps leathers, torches, hammers, zoas, and some acros, I have a question about frag tanks.
The one constant that is mentioned is that “it’s not ready for my DT yet.” My question is will it ever be or is your frag tank a nice excuse for continuing to collect cool frags with not much intention on putting them in the DT.
I have a frag tank and a display and I keep a couple frags that could easily go in the display but I kind of like the “stocked” look of the frag tank, so I keep them in there.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started a "frag tank" also known as I hid it from my significant other :) I kid, I kid we mostly use the frag tank as a QT center. It hosts quite a few LPS frags there are always things coming an going out of the tank. I would say the one constant that remains always are the leptos and mushrooms I've just let them go, I also keep an acro in there as an early warning indicator for water quality (we do regular changes in the tank) if it doesn't look well I do a full check on all the parameters.

OP
OP
B

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a "frag tank" also known as I hid it from my significant other :) I kid, I kid we mostly use the frag tank as a QT center. It hosts quite a few LPS frags there are always things coming an going out of the tank. I would say the one constant that remains always are the leptos and mushrooms I've just let them go, I also keep an acro in there as an early warning indicator for water quality (we do regular changes in the tank) if it doesn't look well I do a full check on all the parameters.
Haha, I like the idea. I just came home from my lfs with a nice orange monti cap and since I have no quarantine, the immediate”what’s that” happened. Looks good in the tank though.
As for QT, I’m very fortunate to have a lfs that takes suck great care of it’s life forms that I’ve never had a problem.
But then I’m raising a softie tank and the cost factor is much lower than with acros etc.
I think it would be cool to have a frag tank that one could use to switch out corals etc.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with you a good LFS is worth it’s weight in gold. You gotta post some pics of that month!

This hobby has become quite the addiction for my wife and I... we have 9 tanks in our house. 3 salt, 3 fresh and 3 sitting in the garage waiting to be used. It’s just nice to have extra space especially when things grow out and you can creat frags to trade. I never got into this hobby to create frag pieces but we have such a great Coral community it’s nice to swap/trade with folks.

OP
OP
B

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with you a good LFS is worth it’s weight in gold. You gotta post some pics of that month!

This hobby has become quite the addiction for my wife and I... we have 9 tanks in our house. 3 salt, 3 fresh and 3 sitting in the garage waiting to be used. It’s just nice to have extra space especially when things grow out and you can creat frags to trade. I never got into this hobby to create frag pieces but we have such a great Coral community it’s nice to swap/trade with folks.
What you are doing is great! My challenge is space. My wife would like a seahorse tank so I have a few new options. I’m running a 75gallon leather, torch, etc tank and when things are right they grow fast. Once open spaces I had planned are soon covered up, haha.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back