Frag tank to my main display

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All, I am going to be adding a 30g frag tank to my 90g tank. I will plumb the frag tank right into the sump of the 90g and return it back to both tanks. My main display is 4 years old, never had an algae problem. My nitrates and phos have always been a little high but Ive been getting them down. i know I will have to up my alk, cal and mag dose. By adding this frag tank will it cause any problems? If so what possible problems and solutions to fix it. Id rather want to be ready or expect something than have no idea

Thank You,
Owen

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you planning on adding it? :D is it a stand alone tank next to, in sump or something else?

Can't see any significant issues you may have, you're just adding to the volume I suppose!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't cause any obvious issues. Be careful with the plumbing and water level balance and ATO. Maybe do a bit more testing while the frag tank is going through the early phases of maturing and when you add any big volume of new frags.

Good luck and have fun.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get freaked out over increased dosing. Your dosing only goes up in relation to the volume of living/growing corals you have.

Just adding the frag tank won't change any of your dosing requirements.

Be aware sometimes the addition of a "new" item system can do strange things. I had a 1000g system that was 20 years old. I had taken down the frag tanks for some yard rennovation (my frag tanks are outside). When I put the first frag tank back online (180g) it started growing hair algae like crazy. I mean after a week the entire 180g tank was full and we were pulling out and stuffing a 5g bucket full of hair algae every 2-3 days. The rest of the system had no algae issues at all. But this used glass tank was just growing it like mad. And then after about 3 weeks it stopped.

Dave B

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't get freaked out over increased dosing. Your dosing only goes up in relation to the volume of living/growing corals you have.

Just adding the frag tank won't change any of your dosing requirements.

Be aware sometimes the addition of a "new" item system can do strange things. I had a 1000g system that was 20 years old. I had taken down the frag tanks for some yard rennovation (my frag tanks are outside). When I put the first frag tank back online (180g) it started growing hair algae like crazy. I mean after a week the entire 180g tank was full and we were pulling out and stuffing a 5g bucket full of hair algae every 2-3 days. The rest of the system had no algae issues at all. But this used glass tank was just growing it like mad. And then after about 3 weeks it stopped.

Dave B
Ill keep an eye on all my levels as Ill up the dosage when need be.

I did some research and watched videos and Ive heard that could happen. But besides that I havent seen anything else that could be fatal. I just thought I’d ask to make sure.

Thank You

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand alone tank right next to it!
Wait — I’m confused. It can’t be another “standalone” tank if you’re going to plumb into the sump.

Anyway, if you’re to plumb the frag tank into the DT, just plan for additional dosing reqts (larger water volume), lighting schedule, and yes — water recirculation. Very important: make sure your sump is large enough to handle the water volume when both the display & frag tanks are turned off! Don’t want to flood the house when return pumps are off or due to power outage.

Other than that — no big deal. I have a 20g frag tank plumbed into a 175g DT and absolutely love the setup.

Good luck!

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait — I’m confused. It can’t be another “standalone” tank if you’re going to plumb into the sump.

Anyway, if you’re to plumb the frag tank into the DT, just plan for additional dosing reqts (larger water volume), lighting schedule, and yes — water recirculation. Very important: make sure your sump is large enough to handle the water volume when both the display & frag tanks are turned off! Don’t want to flood the house when return pumps are off or due to power outage.

Other than that — no big deal. I have a 20g frag tank plumbed into a 175g DT and absolutely love the setup.

Good luck!
I meant a tank next to it on its own stand. Im sorry for the confusion. I already run a check valve on my many display from the return pump to main display which I will do for the frag tank as well.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, protect your frag tank too. Heater is in my sump so temp is in check. However, with respect to flow, if you lose power — frag tank is vulnerable. What I did for mine: the MP40 for the DT and the MP10 for the FT (Frag Tank) are both protected by UPS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back